A Christmas wish list should have one of these good reads

IMAGE / Mr. Mike Mozart / flickr

“The Hunger Games” trilogy is a must-have on a Christmas wish list this year.

Is there anything better to do to relax during the holidays than to pick up a good book?

Because there are so many good books out there, sometimes it can be hard to find one.

Here are a few good books I recommend.

“The Hunger Games”  Series by Suzanne Collins

The novels in this trilogy are “The Hunger Games” (2008), “Catching Fire” (2009), and “Mockingjay” (2010).

“The Hunger Games” and “Catching Fire” were New York Times Best Sellers and “Mockingjay” topped all U.S. lists of best sellers.

These action-adventure novels revolve around a girl named Katniss Everdeen.

Everdeen’s country is split up into 13 districts and each year they have a reaping. A boy and a girl from each district have their names randomly chosen for the reaping. Those who get picked have to fight, to the death, others chosen from the other districts.

Whoever wins gets needed products in their district to give aide to the impoverished conditions of their districts.

This series contains unforgettable stories that will leave you wanting more.

The “Divergent” Trilogy by Veronica Roth

The “Divergent” trilogy is a series of young adult science fiction adventures.

In this futuristic world, people are divided into specialized groups based on what life they choose and the decisions they make under a drug that puts them in a trance.

Tris Prior is told she is divergent and will never fit into any group. Therefore, she is divergent.

I would recommended this trilogy because they teach the reader that standing up for what you believe in is very important.

— Kaitlyn Foco, sophomore

Prior faces the unlimited struggle: learning to fit into a group, without being noticed.  She looks for an answer as to why being divergent is so dangerous before it is too late for her.

The trilogy includes “Divergent” (2011), “Insurgent” (2012), and “Allegiant” (2013).

Sophomore Kaitlyn Foco said this thrilling series is worthy of a read.

“I would recommended this trilogy because they teach the reader that standing up for what you believe in is very important,” Foco said.

Foco also enjoyed “The Hunger Games” series and said the two trilogies have common characteristics.

“In both series, characters were fighting for the common good of all people,” she said.

“Looking for Alaska” by John Green

This novel is about a boy named Pudge who goes to boarding school and meets a special girl and makes friends with her.

At the end of his journey at boarding school, he walks away with a best friend, unforgettable memories, and a better understanding of life and death

Sophomore Bailee Stevens said she decided to read the novel because her cousin and sister said they liked it.

Stevens said she ended up liking the book even though she did not at first.

“I was very bored with the beginning of the book, but I pushed myself to continue reading,” Stevens said. “The second half of ‘Looking For Alaska’ surprised me, but I can’t say why because then it will give the book away.”

“If I Stay” by Hayley Forman

I loved ‘If I Stay.’ It was kind of confusing at first, but once you get into it further, there is a lot more detail and it all makes sense.

— Lia Silvas, sophomore

This suspenseful novel is about a 17-year-old girl named Mia who was injured in an car accident that took the lives of her parents and younger brother.

Mia experiences an out-of-body experience that allows her to see what is happening around her. She is then faced with the decision to fight to live or let go.

Sophomore Lia Silvas enjoyed the book even though the beginning of the book challenged her.

“I loved ‘If I Stay,'” Silvas said. “It was kind of confusing at first, but once you get into it further, there is a lot more detail and it all makes sense.”

“The Fault in Our Stars”  by John Green

This romance novel is about a young teenage girl named Hazel who has been diagnosed with lung cancer.

Hazel meets a boy named Augustus with osteosarcoma (a rare form of bone cancer) and encounter a roller coaster ride of emotions, including love, sadness, and romance.

Who sells these books? How much are they?

All these book are for sale on Amazon.com.

Prices do not included shipping unless the order is over $35.

“Fault in Our Stars” $6.49

“Looking for Alaska” $5.65

“If I stay” $6.70

“The Hunger Games”series $19.05

“Divergent” series $34.60

These books are also sold at Barnes & Nobles.

Prices differ for hardcover and paperback versions.

“Fault in Our Stars” $11.75 (hardcover) and $9.52 (paperback)

“Looking for Alaska” $15.06 (hardcover) $9.99 (paperback)

“If I Stay” $11.72 (hardcover) $6.83 (paperback)

“The Hunger Games” series $22.27 (hardcover) books are sold individually.

“Divergent” series $35.98 (hardcover) also sold individually.

The featured image is from flickr.