‘Drop Dead, Juliet!’ will make audiences drop dead with laughter

Drop Dead, Juliet! will make audiences drop dead with laughter

The fall play, “Drop Dead, Juliet!” will include some members cast in reversed gender roles.

“Shakespeare had men play women,” Mr. John Hall, co-director, said. “We are reversing the roles for this play by having women play men, who are pretty funny when they do it.”

Hall said the play, which premieres Nov. 21 at 7 p.m., will be a hilarious family story.

“’Drop Dead, Juliet!’ is a well-written play that will be very interesting to high school students,” Hall said. “’Drop Dead, Juliet!’ will be the funniest play you have ever attended.”

‘Drop Dead, Juliet!’ will be the funniest play you have ever attended.

— Mr. John Hall, co-director

After the premiere performance, a second show is Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. and a matinee is Nov. 23 at 2:30 p.m.

The plot features Juliet, the female protagonist in William Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” and how she tires of killing herself on stage in the final scene of Shakespeare’s play.

Sophomore Kaley Mooney will play Juliet during opening night, while junior Lindsay Nofs will take the part for the second show.  For the matinee, Mooney will play Juliet in the first act and Nofs will take the role of Juliet in the second act.

Mooney is eager for the play to open.

“I think this play is very unique,” Mooney said, “and I am very excited for the final production.”

Junior Julie Lemon has been cast as the nurse.

Lemon, the Thespian Society president, said every production has its problems.

The students are excited about their characters and are eagerly accepting the challenge of turning a serious play into something funny.

— Mr. John Hall, co-director

“I think the play will turn out good,” Lemon said. “There will be troubles along the way, but, overall, in the end it will be good.”

Hall, who is co-directing the play with his wife, Mrs. Laura Hall, likes that the play will challenge the actors.

“We were looking for Kearsley students to fill particular roles,” Hall said. “Some of which were comedic, some serious, and others required students to move in and out of character.”

Hall believes the play will provide students with a chance to develop as actors and challenge them to get out of their comfort zones.

“Over 50 students tried out for a role in ‘Drop Dead, Juliet!'” Hall said. “The students are excited about their characters and are eagerly accepting the challenge of turning a serious play into something funny.”

Do you plan on going to the play or did you go to the play?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.