An open letter to my teachers: I am sorry

Andrew+Flynn

Andrew Flynn

To all the teachers I have had throughout the years, past and present:

I am sorry.

I am sorry that I could not amount to what you had hoped for me.

When I entered your classes, I seemed like a good student who had so much potential, a student who was on time, sat down in his seat, and did as he was told.

By the end of the marking periods and semesters, you probably were trying to work with me to get late assignments in or trying to boost a grade that, in some cases, was failing.

Time and time again I would fail to turn things in. I became lazy and I would not participate in class. I became sarcastic and callused. I would continue to fall behind and play catch-up.

I am sorry for bugging you with late assignments I desperately tried to turn in.

I am sorry for the emails my parents sent, inquiring about my grades and why I was falling behind.

I am sorry they thought it was your fault their child was failing and not mine.

I wish I could make it up to you guys. In most cases, I cannot and I regret it.

I wish I could be the all-A student with a 4.0 GPA going off to some prestigious college, but I cannot. I am just an average student, with a mediocre GPA, going off to a local community college.

I want to thank you all, though, for having faith in me and for having hope.

When time was on the line and you could have turned me away, you all continued to help me when I did not deserve the help. When I could not figure out a subject or a problem, you were there to guide me and help me despite all of my flaws.

You were there to keep me going through it all, and I still cannot fathom why teachers like you would bother with someone like me.

Despite the fact that some of you grew to dislike me and probably dreaded my presence in class, you still were there for me in times of need.

I did not deserve the help, yet I still received it.

I wish you all the best with your new classes and new students. I hope that you all will continue to help teenagers just as you have helped me.

Thanks for everything.