Wrestling pins Corunna, loses tiebreaker to Flushing

IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson

Junior Jason Judd (blue and yellow) rolls his Flushing opponent to his back to pin him at a wrestling meet in Lake Fenton Wednesday, Jan. 8.

The wrestling team traveled to Lake Fenton Wednesday, Jan. 8, to compete against Flushing and Corunna.

The Hornets fell by tiebreaker to the Raiders and beat the Cavaliers.

The Hornets’ first matchup against Flushing ended with a 39-39 tie. Flushing won after a count of pins and voids of both teams.

The Hornets beat the Cavaliers in a landslide 44-30 victory.

Freshman Jacob Mosher was pinned in the first match but then followed with a pin of his own in the second.

This gave Mosher his first varsity pin of his career. He had a total of one takedown, one reversal, one escape, and two nearfall points.

Freshman Gage Stafford won by void against Flushing but did not compete against Corunna.

Junior Jason Judd won both of his matches by pin in the first period.

Freshman Keegan Doyle lost his matches by first-period pins.

Sophomore Kaleb Gettings split his matches, losing the first by a 5-4 decision and winning the second by pin. He had two takedowns and one reversal.

Junior Brandon Garvin also split his matches, both of which were decided by pins. He finished with two takedowns and an escape.

IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson
Freshmen Jacob Mosher (top) puts his weight into a Corunna opponent to earn his first varsity pin at the Lake Fenton meet Wednesday, Jan. 8.

Senior La’Ron Ruffin won his first match by pin and won his second by void. Between the two matches, he had two takedowns, one reversal, and five nearfall points.

Senior Trenton DiGenova dominated his matches, winning the first match by pin and the second by a 16-0 technical fall. He racked up three takedowns, one reversal, and 19 nearfall points.

Senior John Brown won his first match by pin and the second by a 10-5 decision, gaining three takedowns, two reversals, and two nearfall points.

Senior Brandon Fisher won both of his matches, making three takedowns and two escapes in the process.

Freshmen Dominik DiGenova won both of his matches by pin with one takedown and two reversals.

The Hornets will compete in the Clarkston Duals tournament Saturday, Jan. 11.