Football drops crossover game to Brandon


IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson

Junior Isaiah Stiverson (center) carries the ball as a Brandon linebacker goes in for the tackle in a game against the Blackhawks Friday, Oct. 18. Kearsley lost 38-26.

The football team lost to host Brandon in a Metro League crossover game Friday, Oct. 18, rallying in the second half but ultimately falling 38-26.

The Blackhawks struck first, scoring an 11-yard touchdown through the air with 5:29 left in the first quarter. A good point-after kick put Brandon up 7-0.

Brandon’s quarterback showed his athleticism by running in a 13-yard score less than three minutes into the second quarter. The Blackhawks took a 14-0 lead.

The Hornets stung back as junior quarterback Braylon Silvas kept the ball for a 10-yard rushing touchdown. A two-point conversion run failed and Brandon led 14-6 with 7:23 left in the first half.

Scoring his third all-purpose touchdown of the night, Brandon’s quarterback ran in a 4-yard touchdown and the Blackhawks took a 21-6 lead with 4:25 left before halftime.

IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson
Senior Ethan Livingston (center, No. 13) pulls down a Brandon ball carrier in an away game against the Blackhawks Friday, Oct. 18.

The Blackhawks weren’t finished, however. Brandon’s kicker scored a 35-yard field goal to end the half and put his team up 24-6.

Brandon kept up its dominant offense in the third quarter, scoring a 31-yard passing touchdown and taking a 31-6 lead over the Hornets with just over eight minutes left in the quarter.

As the fourth quarter started, the Hornets put up four fingers and raised their hands above their heads, signaling their rallying nature in the final 12 minutes.

The Hornets proved why the fourth quarter is their favorite as Silvas showed off his arm for a 47-yard passing touchdown to junior Jace Chapman.

Chapman also received the two-point conversion pass that cut the deficit to 31-14 with more than eight minutes left in the game.

IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson
Senior Nick Drinkwine (No. 9) tackles Brandon’s quarterback in a 38-26 loss to the Blackhawks Friday, Oct. 18.

An 80-yard passing touchdown from Silvas to senior Ethan Livingston caused Kearsley fans to shout with delight as the deficit shrunk to 31-20. The two-point conversion run failed as just under six minutes remained in the game.

The Blackhawks put the game out of reach with a four-yard quarterback keeper. The scoreboard read 38-20 with 1:50 left in the game.

Kearsley would not be stopped, however, and Chapman caught his second touchdown of the night, this time for 15 yards. A failed conversion pass put the Hornets behind 38-26.

An onside kick attempt looked like a Hornet recovery by junior Caleb Wheat, but the officials ruled that Brandon recovered and the Blackhawks kneeled out the clock to end the game.

IMAGE / Mackenzie Atkinson
Junior Isaiah Stiverson (second from left) and senior Josh Truax (No. 90) block Brandon’s defensive line in a game against the Blackhawks Friday, Oct. 18.

Silvas racked up 300 yards of total offense, 266 of which came through the air. Brandon contained his scrambling throughout the game.

Chapman’s two touchdowns and 144 yards on seven receptions led Kearsley receivers. Livingston earned 122 yards and a touchdown receiving.

Livingston made eight solo tackles on defense, while senior Nick Drinkwine made six himself and assisted on another.

Junior Conner Cooper completed five tackles and made one assist.

The Hornets are 6-2, finishing Metro League in second place behind Fenton in the Metro League’s stripes division.

Hosting Royal Oak, the Hornets will look to buzz to their best record since 1998 by winning a seventh game.