First all-female spacewalk with female crew will take place soon

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons

Astronaut Anne McClain (left) and Astronaut Christina Hammock Koch will be part of the first all-female spacewalk crew.

Men and women have been in space at the same time, but what about an all-female spacewalk?

NASA was influenced by many incredible women who made NASA what it is today.

Many of these women waited a long time for a moment like this one to come along.

Astronauts Anne McClain and Christina Hammock Koch will be conducting the first all-female spacewalk Friday, March 29, that has an entire crew of women supporting them from NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston.

It is expected to be seven hours long, but this depends on how the spacewalk works out once the women are in space.

McCain is an aerospace engineer and a senior army aviator, while Koch’s background is in electrical engineering and physics.

Women will be held to the same standards that men are held and are equally qualified to handle any scenario.

This is a memorable moment for women in science.

This is a big difference from how things used to be.

Sophomore Brandon Ellis thinks that this is a good thing for women.

“Good for them. This is, honestly, a lot different on how NASA usually does it,” Ellis said. “But it is a good thing for women to show that they are just as equal to men, no matter their gender.”

In the 20th century, women were known to be housewives while men did the labor, and men had more rights than women, like the right to an education and vote.

It was only in 1920 that women were guaranteed the right to vote by the 19th Amendment.

But women have been fighting for years to be equal and to have the same rights that men do.

The spacewalk is a huge step for equality and this shows that women have every right to do the same things men can do.

I personally feel that women still aren’t as equal to men, but we are being given more and more chances to be able to achieve that.

— Marissa Carr, sophomore

Sophomore Marrisa Carr said that women in science will get more opportunities to change the way women are portrayed.

“I am so happy to see that these two women have been given the chance to spacewalk,” Carr said. “I personally feel that women still aren’t as equal to men, but we are being given more and more chances to be able to achieve that.”

Women weren’t always treated equally. They often stayed at home to cook, clean, and care for their young.

No education, no job. Only housework and child raising.

Mrs. Leah Thomas, zoology and biology teacher, thinks that it should be up to a woman to do what she wants to do.

“This makes me think back to the time when women were often told their job was solely to be at home,” Thomas said, “and that there was no place for them ‘at work,’ let alone hold a job in a science- or math-related career.”

Thomas also said that women are in the workforce more today than in the past.

Women have a unique perspective that should be warranted just as men’s perspectives.

— Mrs. Leah Thomas, biology teacher

“If women want to stay home with children, I think that’s great, but if women want a career and perhaps a family also, I think that’s great too,” Thomas said. “I always try to encourage students, but especially girls in my classes, to consider a science career.”

Thomas believes that many women aren’t seen going into science or math careers.

“There is research that shows too many girls feel less confident in math- and science-related classes, and it makes me sad,” Thomas said. “Women have a unique perspective that should be warranted just as men’s perspectives.”