French student’s dream comes true

IMAGE / Julie Flahou

Senior Julie Flahou, a French foreign exchange student, poses for a selfie.

The possibilities of America have always amazed people around the world, and for 17-year-old Julie Flahou, the possibilities have altered the ideas of where her life may continue.

“I love the mentality of America,” Flahou said. “All is possible here. To be original is a good thing.”

Flahou, a foreign exchange student from France, has always wanted to live in America.

Ever since she was able to read and watch movies, America has been a dream to her.

Flahou decided to become a foreign exchange student four years ago in order to experience American life before she decided whether or not to become a citizen of the United States.

She is undecided on if she will go home to France or stay in America, but she plans on continuing her education here.

Flahou plans on pursuing a career in business, specifically in international trade.

She has been interested in international works and the business world since she was 12.

As a young girl, Flahou was a dancer for Sylvie Barrett, a French dance studio.

She danced for 12 years in ballet, jazz, and hip-hop.

Flahou’s favorite type of dance was ballet because that is where she felt she excelled the most.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Julie Flahou
Julie Flahou, senior from France, smiles for her picture during a family photo shoot held by her host family.

For the past three years, Flahou has played volleyball.

She was a player for the Cambrai Club in France, which is where she first learned to play.

Her favorite thing about volleyball is the close-knit team aspect.

“I love the fact of the team,” Flahou said. “We are always there for each other, and we are always together.”

Flahou’s host family loves her dearly.

Dr. Chad Boggs and Mrs. Rebekah Boggs have welcomed Flahou into their family from the moment they were able to message her.

“Chad and I both had foreign exchange students when we were in high school and enjoyed the experience,” Mrs. Boggs said. “She (Julie) seemed as though she would fit in with our children and our family based on her personality.”

In addition to her host parents, Flahou’s host sibling adores her.

Seventh-grader Ava Boggs, Flahou’s host sister, has a normal sibling relationship with Julie as if she had been in their family forever.

“We have kind of a normal interaction as siblings but with more talking,” Ava said.

Flahou’s family in France is excited for her new journey and chapter in life although they were saddened to have her leave.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Julie Flahou
French exchange student Julie Flahou (right) poses with her host mother, Mrs. Rebekah Boggs, behind their cake on their shared birthday.

“My sister is happy for me. But my brother, he is missing me,” Flahou said. “I am the youngest of all of my siblings. Everybody is always taking care of me. Now, I am on my own, and they miss their little sister.”

Flahou said the thing that is most different between France and the United States is the school system.

“The school here is so different,” Flahou said. “You wake up, come to school at a certain time, and leave at the same time every day. In France, we can be in school until six at night or even later.”

In France, sports and school are two separate aspects of life. Flahou is surprised with how American students cheer on their team.

“In France, friends may come to a few games,” Flahou said. “But here, everyone goes to all of the games. It is so different.”