Many seniors will miss playing high school sports

Senior+James+Davis+

IMAGE / Makenzie Schroeder

Senior James Davis

The year is almost over for the of class of 2015. This means that this is the seniors last year to participate in high school sports.

Senior Josh Arnes played football for the final time this year.

He said leaving football is melancholic.

“The feeling was terrible to know that this was my last year playing high school football,” Arnes said. “I’m going to miss all the times with my friends and team, but most of all I’m going to miss playing on Friday under the lights.”

Many seniors who are passionate about sports have been participating in sports since they started high school.

Senior James Davis has been a part of wrestling, a winter sport, since his freshman year.

Davis said that he is going to miss everything about the wrestling team.

“Knowing that this is my last year wrestling, it’s a bittersweet moment because I’m ready to be done with high school, but I’m going to really miss wrestling on the high school level,” Davis said. “The thing I’m going to miss most is the bond that I have formed with my team and my coaches.”

The thing I’m going to miss most is the bond that I have formed with my team and my coaches.

— James Davis, senior

Davis took third at states during his junior year, earning All-State honors and landing his picture in the All-State collection of photographs outside of the gym.

Like Davis said, seniors are ready to go on with their lives, but they are leaving so much behind while they do this.

There are some athletes who are going to miss more than one team.

Not only did senior Kugar Nettell participate in multiple sports, but two within the same season.

Nettell played soccer and ran track, both of which are spring sports. She has to say goodbye to two teams, which are like family to her.

Nettell said that she is going to miss the people on both teams after her seasons end.

This spring will also be the last time for seniors to play high school softball.

It’s sad because I really like high school sports . . . . I’m going to also miss being a big family.

— Kaitlin Dormire, senior

Senior Kaitlin Dormire has played softball for six years, four of which were for Kearsley.

Dormire said she is going to miss playing softball in high school.

“It’s sad because I really like high school sports, and I’ve been a part of high school softball for six years and have been playing for four,” Dormire said. “I plan on playing in college, but the thing I’m going to miss most about high school softball is spring training in Florida. I’m going to also miss being a big family.”