Lane represents students on the Board

Junior Stephanie Lane will represent the Student Council on the Board of Education next year.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott

Junior Stephanie Lane was selected to represent the Student Council on the Board of Education, taking over for recent graduate Barbara Hawes.

Lane will be the Student Council’s liaison to the Board, representing its goals and opinions on policies.

Lane has been a part of the Student Council since her freshman year. She was motivated to join the group because of her desire to better the community.

“I joined Council because I wanted to not only get involved with the school but make it a good place to be,” Lane said. “By being involved in a variety of clubs and groups (including NHS, tennis, and AP courses) I’m able to be surrounded by a variety of people and see how our school could improve.”

Lane served as vice president for the Class of 2019 for two years and will take on the role of Student Council vice president next year.

Lane is honored to represent the Student Council.

“I was surprised, but I’m excited to have the opportunity to represent the school,” Lane said.

She credits her success to mentorship from Kearsley alumna Alexis Schwartz. Lane and Schwartz developed a close professional relationship throughout Lane’s freshman year, which resulted in Lane’s determination to succeed in Student Council.

“She set an example of how things are supposed to be run,” Lane said. “With the transition from our old adviser to Mr. (Mike) Whalen, I knew how things were supposed to work.”

Stephanie is a tenacious leader that works to meet the needs of the students she serves in Student Council.”

— Mr. Mike Whalen

Impacting the Kearsley community is a major part of why Lane has enjoyed being a part of the Student Council.

Lane said, “I enjoy making a difference within the school.”

Whalen, the group’s adviser, believes Lane’s attitude will serve her well in the new position.

“Stephanie is a tenacious leader that works to meet the needs of the students she serves in Student Council,” Whalen said. “She is always willing to step up and use her voice, and this is a characteristic that will serve her well as the Student Representative.”