Wrestling pins Bendle, falls to Goodrich

IMAGE / Emilie Lewis

Freshman Jason Judd (top) grapples his opponent in a match against Goodrich on Wednesday, Dec. 6, at Kearsley. Judd won the match in overtime.

The wrestling team defeated Bendle 54-21 on Wednesday, Dec 6, at home but fell to Goodrich 44-19.

Wrestlers who won both their matches against Bendle and Goodrich were senior Malik Davis, sophomore Trenton DiGenova, and freshman Jason Judd.

Davis pinned his opponent from Bendle in the first period, contributing six points to his team’s overall score. In Davis’ match against Goodrich, Davis ended up winning the match by points, contributing four points to the team.

DiGenova, like Davis, pinned his Bendle opponent in the first period, adding six points to the team score. DiGenova also won his match against Goodrich by points, contributing three points to the overall team score.

IMAGE / Emilie Lewis
Senior Malik Davis pins an opponent from Bendle in a match at Kearsley on Wednesday, Dec. 6. Davis won both of his matches in the quad meet.

As well as Davis and DiGenova, Judd pinned his Bendle opponent in the first period of the match, adding another six points for the Hornets.

During Judd’s match against Goodrich, Judd and his opponent went into overtime. In overtime, the wrestler who scores a point first wins the match. Judd took down his opponent, scoring two points and won the match, scoring three points.

During his overtime match, Judd pushed himself to win.

“I was tired, but I didn’t want to quit,” Judd said. “I felt like I had to win.”

Having just started his high school wrestling career, Judd is happy with how it’s gone so far.

“It felt great,” Judd said. “Its going to be a good year I hope.”

The Hornets will appear next at Capac for an invitational on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 9 a.m.