AP classes increase workload, help students grow

Sophomore+Tyler+Gronauer+spends+most+of+his+time+after+school+doing+homework.+

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

Sophomore Tyler Gronauer spends most of his time after school doing homework.

Go out with friends or study for the next AP test?

This is a common question for the students taking on the extra homework load assigned by Advanced Placement classes.

Whether a load of AP homework is beneficial or simply a hassle to students lives outside of school is a frequent debate in high school.

The amount of time students are putting into their studies after school are interfering with the time that could be spent with friends, family, or participating in extracurricular activities.

Having some homework helps students achieve a better understanding, but who’s to define the amount of “some?”

Sophomore Tyler Gronauer said he has “little time” for his family and spends the day doing homework when he gets home, then repeats this for the whole week.

“It’s like a cycle,” Gronauer said.

While students challenge themselves by taking these harder courses, the amount of work can become overwhelming.

AP classes are available to prepare students for college, but because of the fast pace curriculum, students find it easy to fall behind.

It can be easy to fall behind and feel overwhelmed.

— Erin Davis, senior

Senior Erin Davis said the amount of work required in AP classes can be immense.

“Signing up for an AP class, you know the expectation for the workload so you are somewhat prepared,” Davis said. “But, at the same time, it can be easy to fall behind and feel overwhelmed,” Davis said.

Teachers try to teach the AP classes in a similar format as college courses as a way to prepare college-bound students for what they should expect for future classes and after graduation.

Mr. Rob Markwardt, who teaches AP World History, said advanced classes help students grow.

“(Taking A.P classes) helps improve self motivation. And (helps you to) become responsible for your learnings,” Markwardt said. “This is because it resembles what happens in a university classroom, therefore better preparing you to do well at the next level.”