McKay, Lumetta lead girls’ track at league meet

IMAGE / Colleen Desrochers

The 1600-meter relay team poses during picture day of the 2015 season. The team is juniors Diane Bond (left), Emalie Lewis, Miranda Lumetta, and sophomore Ave’r McKay.

The Flint Metro League track and field meet was held May 20 at Linden. Flushing won the meet with 157 1/2 points, while Brandon was the runner-up with 114 1/2 points. The Hornets finished eighth, scoring 20.

Sophomore Ave’r McKay finished the meet with the most points for the Hornets, totaling 10 3/4 points.

McKay took fourth place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 27.42. This was the best finish of the night for the Hornets.

She also took fifth in the 100 dash with a time of 13.48.

McKay said she liked her performance in the longer sprint best.

“I was most pleased with my 200. I felt that I ran my hardest,” McKay said. “Coming out of the blocks was good, and I felt that the competition was high so the last 50 was a push.”

Junior Miranda Lumetta scored the second most points for Kearsley with 4 3/4.

Lumetta set a personal record in the long jump, leaping 14-feet, 7 1/4-inches, which was good enough for seventh place.

She did not make it easy for herself since she faulted the first two jumps out of three in the preliminaries.  The good news was that Lumetta puled through on her third attempt with her record-setting jump.

“I was feeling really good before I was jumping because I was all stretched out,” Lumetta said. “And then when I jumped my first two I got really discouraged, and I was feeling very down on myself. Then I just let it all go, and I ran very hard down the runway, and jumped my 14-7 1/4.”

The Hornets also finished fifth in the 1600 relay with a time of 4:27.93. The team consisted of  juniors Diane Bond and Emalie Lewis, Lumetta, and McKay.

McKay likes track and field because she meets student-athletes from outside of Kearsley.

“I enjoyed interacting with athletes from all the different schools,” McKay said.