Gracie Garfi-Sharber trained with Hendler Racing in Colorado

IMAGE / Mrs. Lisa Sharber

Freshman Gracie Garfi-Sharber races at Richfield Park in 2012 during the Great Lakes National Race.

Freshman Gracie Garfi-Sharber was one of five girls in the U.S. to be picked by the Hendler Racing team to go to Colorado and train.

BMX racing is off-road bicycle racing, similar to motocross. The bikes are specially made for this off-road course.

Over spring break, Garfi-Sharber went to Boulder, Colo., for two weeks to train with two coaches.

In Colorado, Garfi-Sharber did different things from road sprints, which are when a person rides on a road that keeps sloping upward, to riding trails 350 feet up in the mountains.

Garfi-Sharber said, “The best part is I got to train where the pros train on the track.”

Four years ago, Garfi-Sharber was watching a girls’ team race while at a race for her little cousin and decided it looked like fun.

“My parents bought me a bike from Wal-Mart,” Garfi-Sharber said. “They did not think I would stick with it.”

According to the American Bicycle Association, Garfi-Sharber is ranked first in the state in her age division.

Mrs. Brandi Schmidt, Garfi-Sharber’s physical science teacher, said Garfi-Sharber endeavors to succeed.

“Gracie is a quiet, kind, soft-spoken student who is one tough cookie,” Schmidt said. “She is dedicated to her hobby, works hard, and has been very successful.”

Garfi-Sharber trains several times a week at Richfield Park in Davison, weather permitting. She travels around Michigan on the weekends and sometimes goes outside the state to race.

On the track, Garfi-Sharber goes by “the Taser.” Garfi-Sharber got the nickname from a friend on the track who told her once she gets out of the gate so fast she tases her opponents.

Freshman Gracie Garfi-Sharber practices at Richfield Park in 2014.
IMAGE / Mrs. Lisa Sharber

Even though BMX racing is powered by foot instead of motor, racing can be dangerous.

A month ago, Garfi-Sharber fractured her elbow, which has not healed properly.

“I was coming into a corner and the girl in third place tried to cut me off. I did a Superman, and it fractured my elbow. I ended up coming in second because I could not let her beat me after that,” Garfi-Sharber said.

Even though Garfi-Sharber is recognized by Hendler Racing as one of the top racers in the nation, she is not sure if she would like to continue training. She wants to focus more on school and finding a career that suits her.

Garfi-Sharber said, “BMX racing does not pay well, and I do not think that is what I want to do with my life.”

She was offered the opportunity to go back to Colorado this summer for a month of training, but she is unsure if she will go.

She hopes to continue BMX racing as a hobby if she does decide to stop racing professionally.

Garfi-Sharber is working on going to Lindsey Wilson College in Kentucky. She originally wanted to go to Lindsey Wilson because of their BMX racing, but now is looking at it for other careers.

Freshman Gracie Garfi-Sharber

According to USA Cycling, there are 18 colleges that offer cycling as a varsity sport with over 300 collegiate cycling clubs.

She is also looking at other BMX racing colleges. If Garfi-Sharber continues to race throughout high school, she might get a scholarship for racing.

As for anyone who would like to get into BMX racing, Garfi-Sharber said, “BMX racing can change you because it gives you respect for competing against your friends. On the track, everyone is competition, but off the track we are all friends.”