Smart Snacks in Schools program upsets students, changes Hornets Nest’s items

Smart Snacks in Schools program upsets students, changes Hornets Nests items

New rules regarding the snacks sold in the Hornets Nest are creating quite a stir with students.

These rules, proposed by First Lady Michelle Obama and the United States Department of Agriculture, require vending machines to be filled with healthier snacks that are low in fat and sugar. The guidelines also set strict standards for foods that can be sold as a lunch or as a snack in schools.

The rules, which are part of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act Act of 2010 and are commonly referred to as the Smart Snacks in Schools program, took effect in June.

Mrs. Kim Guest, adviser of the Hornets Nest, said students have grumbled about the rules but continue to buy items in the Hornets Nest.

“The students claim to not like the changes,” Guest said. “But regardless of them, they have adapted and continue to make purchases in the school store.”

Students are upset by the restrictions and many of the old snacks sold in schools have now been replaced with new snacks that fit the guidelines.

For instance, chips, candy bars, and ice cream are no longer available in the Hornets Nest because they do not comply with the new guidelines.

Senior Adriana Ruiz works at the Hornets Nest.

Ruiz said, “The Hornets Nest spent the first month trying to figure out which of the new products sell and which do not.”

Beverage sales at the Hornet's Nest are up over 10 percent this year.  Frozen beverage sales have increased over 70 percent.
Dylan Brewer
Beverage sales at the Hornets Nest are up this year. Frozen beverage sales have increased over 80 percent.

Frozen beverages now account for about 84 percent of beverage sales, compared to about nine percent last year.

Guest said, “People aren’t willing to buy everything we offer, but the products they do buy allow us to continue making a profit.”

Foods that do not meet the standards can only be sold before or after school and at events like a play or sporting events.

Students may have adapted to the changes, but there are still some who are not in favor of the rules.

“I do not believe students are in favor of the new rule,” Guest said. “But they also know they currently do not have the ability to opt out.”