Boys track splits first league meets

IMAGE / Connor Earegood

The boys track and field team split a double-dual meet on Tuesday, April 16, beating Owosso but losing to Clio.

On Tuesday, April 16, a rainy day had an upside for the boys track team, as the throwers and relay teams contributed vital points in a 72-56 victory over Owosso and a narrow 64-62 loss to Clio.

Senior Eddie Harris, senior Dylan Buschur, and sophomore Isaiah Jones swept first through third in the shot put.

Harris threw for 41 feet, 8 inches, Buschur for 39-00, and Jones for 36-7.5.

A throw of 135-09 by Buschur was enough for first place in the discus, while Harris’ toss of 126-02 came in second.

The Hornets earned many of their points in the relays.

The 400 relay team of junior Ashtyn Cohoon, senior Josh Bischoff, junior Matt McGinnis, and junior Jaylon Burchfield worked hard for second overall, combining for a time of 50.12 seconds.

Cohoon, Bischoff, Burchfield, and freshman Tyler Csintyan earned second in the 800 relay, beating out Owosso’s team and coming six seconds behind Clio with a 1:42.22-run.

Taking second yet again in the 1600 relay, Csintyan, Bischoff, freshman Mario Wells, and junior Raydoffa Braziel ran for 4:02.33.

Outpacing the nearest team by almost five seconds, the 3200-relay team of Bischoff, junior Mitch Howell, Wells, and Braziel placed first.

In individual running events, junior Raydoffa Braziel placed second overall with a time of 52.63 seconds in the 400-meter dash.

In addition, with a run of 2:17.04, Braziel took third in the 800 run.

The 110 high hurdles were a solid event for the team, as sophomore Braylon Silvas set a season record of 45.67 seconds and captured first place.

Senior Austin Hennessy timed in at 18.92 seconds, placing third.

Silvas and Hennessy took first and third in the 300 hurdles, respectively, with runs of 45.67 and 47.13.

In other field events, Csintyan and Silvas leaped for second and third, respectively, in the high jump with personal records of 5-06 apiece.

Silvas also took second in the long jump with a jump of 18-09.25.

The Hornets are now 1-1 in the Metro League.

The Hornets will face off against 15 other teams in the Marco Marcet Invitational at Frankenmuth on Thursday, April 18.