Dual enrollment gives students a head start in college

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat

Students have the opportunity to start college early with KHS’ dual enrollment program.

As students move through high school, they are constantly told that their work prepares them for college.

Here at KHS, students who seek a challenge and are eager to accumulate college credits are offered a variety of honors and Advanced Placement classes

Most students are not fully aware of all of the options placed before them, such as dual enrolling.

Dual enrollment gives students the chance to take actual college classes, earn credit for them, and see what college life is really like.

It also gives students a broader choice of classes, meaning that if the class isn’t offered at KHS, students can take it at a college.

Students are expected to have their own rides to class at the college they choose.

I think the ability to take AP courses that are not offered on our campus and receive college credits is good for the students.

— Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, believes dual enrollment offers a variety of benefits but has a few disadvantages.

“I think the ability to take AP courses that are not offered on our campus and receive college credits is good for the students,” Wiskur said. “A drawback would be most of our kids take the courses online and kids fall behind quickly because the teaching is not face-to-face.”

Dual-enrolled students see benefits and positive experiences in multiple ways.

Junior Hannah Simms is currently dual enrolled at Mott Community College and finds the early-college opportunity helpful.

“I really like how it pushes you,” Simms said. “Before I started college courses, the classes at KHS never pushed me. With my classes at Mott, I, for sure, have to go home and study and put in extra time into the class. I hope to get better note-taking skills and better preparation for how classes will be after high school.”

If students take advantage of this opportunity, they will earn credits toward their desired degree after graduation.

Senior Anna Stair wishes she’d known about dual enrollment earlier in her high school career.

“I never heard about it, but I think it’s cool and I would have definitely done it if I knew about it,” Stair said. “I think if the school was more broad about it, more students would do it.”

In dual enrollment, students do not live on campus, and they pick whether they want the class at the beginning of the day or the end.

Classes are not everyday, but schedules will vary depending on the course.

Dual-enrolled students have shorter class days at KHS compared to other students.

Dual enrollment exposes students to a variety of new people of various ages.

Having older friends can be a bonus because they can become a mentor figure and help students feel more at ease when going to college.