Students experience New Orleans

IMAGE / Autumn Sears

Students and faculty from the foreign language department visited New Orleans from Friday, Feb. 15 to Monday, Feb. 18, taking in the culture of the Louisiana city.

Mardi Gras, the French Quarter, and Bourbon Street all make New Orleans a city full of life and culture.

On a four-day weekend, students and faculty from the foreign language department took a four-day trip to New Orleans.

The group consisted of 20 students from both French and Spanish classes. The students flew to New Orleans on Friday, Feb. 15.

On their first day, the students went on a New Orleans city walk to view the French Quarter, Warehouse Arts District, Gardens District, Jackson Square, and the St. Louis Cathedral.

They also visited the Audubon Zoo.

Saturday, Feb. 16, — the second day of the trip — the students went to the Bayou country plantations and took a swamp tour.

For the duration of the trip, students dined at restaurants that allowed them to have a complete New Orleans experience, such as the Mississippi riverboat dinner and jazz cruise.

Over the last two days of the trip, students took a visit to Mardi Gras World, the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, and the Lafayette Cemetery.

Junior Hunter Parkhurst said that his favorite of the trip was the Mississippi riverboat dinner.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Autumn Sears
The St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest Cathedral in North America.

“It (the dinner) was so fun,” Parkhurst said. “We all just got to relax and dance to music and take a break from all of the business of the day.”

While experiencing the city, students also learned a lot about the culture of New Orleans.

Jolie Timm, junior, learned about the various cultures.

“I would say I learned most about the cultural differences in the area,” Timm said. “The foods were really different and the people were very friendly.”

Throughout the trip, students experienced many memorable moments.

Junior Autumn Sears enjoyed the swamp tour.

“My favorite part was definitely the swamp tour,” Sears said. “I got to hold an alligator, which was a little nerve-racking, but it was really fun.”