Marquand overcomes anxiety in school

IMAGE / Katelyn Marquand

Sophomore Katelyn Marquand has learned to control her anxiety.

Sophomore Katelyn Marquand knew something was wrong when she noticed she was fidgeting, bouncing her leg repeatedly, and having a strange feeling in her chest.

According to Marquand, it feels like a tightening sensation.

The stress of school was starting to get to her. She couldn’t handle it.

She was feeling anxious more and more often, and it was affecting her school work.

“It was hard for me to do my work with the thoughts I was having,” Marquand said.

It even started to get worse as time went on.

When it reached this point, she knew she needed to seek help.

Marquand went to the doctor and was diagnosed with anxiety. She found a therapist who told her she could avoid having as many anxiety attacks.

One of sophomore Katelyn Marquand’s favorite things is music, both listening to it and singing.

Her therapist showed her breathing exercises to relieve her stress and Marquand found out that the smell of snickerdoodle also helped.

Anxiety was affecting her lifestyle, attitude, grades, and relationships.

Now that Marquand has discovered ways to cope with her anxiety disorder, she is able to deal with different challenges she faces in her everyday life.

Although her anxiety attacks still occur, they don’t happen nearly as often.

One thing Marquand has found that helps her in these times is music — specifically singing.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir teacher, and singer Demi Lovato are her main inspirations for singing.

Marquand plans to stick with choir throughout high school.

She has been in choir for two years, and it was there that she became closer to her best friend, sophomore Hailey Burgett.

They initially met through a common friend but then were in a choir class together.

Sophomores Katelyn Marquand (l to r) and Hailey Burgett get ready for a choir concert.

By having this common interest, they were around each other more often.

Burgett said, “We sat next to each other and became close friends from there.”

The two now talk about anything with one another.

“I knew I could trust her more out of most of the people I knew,” Burgett said. “She is one of the most amazing people out there.”

Marquand said having Burgett to depend on has helped her through her experience and even some anxiety attacks.

In the future, Marquand wants to be a teacher for young children.

She wants to be someone students can depend on if they are going through anything at home.

“I wouldn’t want anyone to go through what I have,” Marquand said.

I’m much happier with myself and who I’ve become today. I felt trapped in my own body for years. I’m glad that I could start my journey on self-recovery. Caring about yourself first is always important.

— Katelyn Marquand, sophomore

This shows how big of a heart she has despite how much she experienced and is still going through.

Marquand is a sweet, caring girl, who — regardless of having her own things to deal with — will help others without hesitation.

She feels she has become stronger and grown as a person.

“I’m able to walk anywhere and not feel overwhelmed with myself and everything going on around me,” Marquand said.

She is much happier with herself now and feels more free after conquering her anxiety.

“I’m much happier with myself and who I’ve become today,” Marquand said. “I felt trapped in my own body for years. I’m glad that I could start my journey on self-recovery. Caring about yourself first is always important.”

Marquand is an inspiration for teens who believe they can’t overcome things like anxiety because they can, and she is proof of that.

Her advice for anyone struggling with anxiety or other related disorders is to search for help.

“It’s all around us,” Marquand said. “Distract yourself in things that make you happy.”