Construction ahead of schedule at KHS

IMAGE / Riley Paris

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, holds the door open for the new entrance.

KHS’s recent face-lift has been off to a great start, with only some interruptions in students’ everyday lives.

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, said the final parts of the new office are in progress, with only some final touches needing to be made.

“We are ahead of schedule,” Wiskur said. “We only have the final paint, final lighting, floor covering, and the ceiling grid (to finish).”

With this in mind, many people are excited to see how the office is turning out, especially the students.

A change to what students have seen all year will occur soon.

“During Christmas break, the wall is coming down and both the students and teachers can see what the project looks like, but it will not be complete,” Wiskur said. “This will also give the students an extra four feet in the hallways to walk.”

This brings relief to many students who complained about how crammed the hallway can get during passing time.

IMAGE / Riley Paris
The inside of the new entrance will be where students and visitors will enter the building.

Another pro to the construction is the extra safety precautions it will provide.

“So we know who is coming and going through the main entrance,” Wiskur said, “we are having many buzzers put in as extra safety precautions.”

Due to the construction at the high school, bells don’t work some days and fire alarms go off for no reason. These distractions cause some students to stray from their work.

Freshman Francisco Garza said the everyday interruptions distract him from doing his assignments in class.

“They make loud noises, fire alarms go off at odd times, and bells stop working,” Garza said.

Sophomore Robert Wilcox is excited to see the inside of the reconstructed office.

“The construction is going too slow and taking too long,” Wilcox said. “I’m actually excited to go to the office just to see what it looks like.”

IMAGE / Riley Paris
The new office clinic will be where sick children go if they are not registered for the Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools.

Though many students are distracted by the noise, teachers have a different story.

Most teachers have learned to tune out the messed up bells and fire alarms.

Mrs. Colene Wilcox, algebra teacher, said she has learned to block out the noise.

“I don’t really notice it anymore,” Wilcox said. “The construction is inconvenient, but not all that terrible to adjust to.”

The office staff has also been adjusting to the construction, working in three separate classrooms. They are excited about moving out of their classrooms to get back into a centralized area.

Mrs. Angie Ayre, administration and attendance secretary, anticipates moving into the new office.

“I’m most excited to be back in a centralized location and to be talking to students again,” Ayre said.

She also commented on the current work environment.

“We’re making do with what we have at the moment, and we’ll be very lucky to get out,” Ayre said.

The construction will carry on through the winter until spring when the new office will be officially open for business.