NHS inducts 28 members

The National Honor Society inducted 28 students into the Kearsley chapter on Thursday, Nov. 29.

For this year’s ceremony Ms. Samantha Jackson, a Kearsley alumna, spoke about her battle with breast cancer.

Jackson said during her treatment she had to remember to respect herself, do what she loves, and that she is stronger than she knows. She encouraged members of NHS to follow these guidelines during their time in the program and in the years to follow.

Jackson reminded the audience that the four pillars of NHS — scholarship, service, leadership, and character — can be applied not only to the program, but to enrich the entirety of one’s life.

Once inducted, students have several requirements they must follow. These include maintaining at least a 3.5 GPA, completing 15 hours of community service per semester, attending meetings to organize service projects and other events, paying $5 in dues each semester, and upholding their pledge to NHS.

If students fail to meet these requirements, they may face probation or removal from the program.

NHS is run by senior officers: Emma Bishoff, co-president; Stephen White, co-president; Claudia Moore, vice president; Mickeely Dias, treasurer; Mallory Simms, secretary; and Madison Burroughs, historian.

Dias said several service projects were completed this year.

“We (NHS) tutor after school and tutor at the middle school,” Dias said. “We host the daddy-daughter dance, and this year we raised money for breast cancer awareness and matched the money that we raised.”

White said being in NHS requires responsibility, especially for the officers.

“I feel that I have a great responsibility, and I must make sure that I do my duties with 100 percent effort and 100 percent due diligence,” White said.

Bishoff agrees with White, but believes her friendship with White helps them lead the program.

“We have a lot of responsibility,” Bishoff said. “Luckily, Stephen and I have been friends since we were 2, so we know each others’ ideas and how to work together.”

We now are 70 members strong and I believe we can make great strives in the community.

— Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, NHS adviser

After the addition of members to the program, Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, adviser, said the program will have an even greater impact on the community.

“We now are 70 members strong, and I believe we can make great strides in the community,” Grathoff said.

The senior inductees are as follows:

Ellena Dye, Lance Eads, and Richard Herta.

The junior inductees are as follows:

Raydoffa Braziel, Yasmin Brown, Felicia Cunningham, Connor Earegood, Alexis Echols, Skyelar Herriman, Justice Jennings, Ava Kelsey, Laura Kendrick, Jillian Locke, Matthew Monroe, Makayla Nusbaum, Claire Ouellette, Kamryn Palka, Elizabeth Pierce, Jenna Roush, Delanie Schreiber, Ciara Scott, Autumn Sears, Hannah Simms, Alyssa Smith, Elizabeth Taylor, Jolie Timm, Samantha Timm, and Cole Zemore.