Gronauer, Phillips win Mr. and Miss Kearsley talent show

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat

Junior Isaiah Constant pulls a nail out of senior Tyler Gronauer’s nose. The nail was part of a trick Gronauer performed. His act also included magic and a bit of comedy.

Senior Tyler Gronauer and sophomore Morgan Phillips won Mr. and Miss Kearsley on Wednesday, Sept. 26.

Mr. and Miss Kearsley was a bit different this year. The cheerleaders originally had it as Mr. Kearsley, only for male participants.

This year, the talent show was changed for males and females to participate in.

The participants did their talent portions on stage for the judges and the audience.

Gronauer performed magic for his talent.

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat
Senior Tyler Gronauer (left) and sophomore Morgan Phillips hold up their certificates while sporting their crowns for winning Mr. and Miss Kearsley on Wednesday, Sept. 26.

“I did it for fun,” Gronauer said. “I like performing for people so I did it for myself more than anything.”

Gronauer’s favorite trick he did was putting a nail in his nose because it “freaks people out.” He said he likes that trick “because it’s something different and not a lot of people see that, and it’s not really magic.”

Miss Kearsley, Morgan Phillips, sang “You Won’t Relent” by Jesus Culture.

“My favorite part was probably when I was singing,” Phillips said. “But getting to watch everyone else was also really cool, too.”

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat
Freshmen Molly Gunn (left) and Hailey Price perform for the first time at Miss Kearsley on Wednesday, Sept. 26.

After the talent portion, one of the judges asked each participant an interview question.

The winners were announced after that round.

Gronauer said he didn’t expect to win since his talent was magic instead of singing. But he also added comedy to his magic show to entertain the audience as much as possible.

“I was shocked because I feel like the singers are always more popular,” Gronauer said.

As for Phillips, she said she felt nervous to go on stage and sing in front of so many people. But she’s glad she overcame her fear and did her performance.

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat
Sophomore Alexus Ross tucks at the beginning of Mr. and Miss Kearsley on Wednesday, Sept. 26.

Phillips was surprised to hear that she won.

“When (junior) Niccos (Patrick) was announcing the winners, he looked at me and I just thought, ‘Oh my gosh. No way,’ Phillips said. “And he said my name, and I was really excited and just overall proud of myself and everyone who had performed.”

Looking back at the competition, Gronauer would like one thing to change in the future.

“I wish more people would come (to compete),” Gronauer said. “This school has some talent, and a lot of it goes unnoticed.”