Passion for family, friends, dance drive Lia Silvas

Senior+Lia+Silvas+smiles+happily+for+the+camera.+

IMAGE / Mr. Scott Roberts

Senior Lia Silvas smiles happily for the camera.

Senior Lia Silvas is more than what meets the eye.

Silvas is an intelligent girl that values her grades, family, job, hobbies, and her friends.

Silvas was born Dec. 23, 1999. She is one of four children.

Her older brother, Brendan, is 22 years old. Braylon, her younger brother, is 15 and is a freshman in the high school this year. She also has a younger sister, Layna, and she is 13.

She is an involved student and always keeps up with all of her work and grades, which shows since she is part of the National Honor Society and takes part in many school activities. For instance, Silvas is part of the student section at most games and helps set up for school dances.

Silvas’s mother, Mrs. Jennifer Silvas, started a day care in the basement of their house.

Silvas works for her mom every other day of the week and loves it. She supervises the children, gets them snacks, teaches them letters and numbers, reads to them, and plays with them.

Lia has always worked hard to get done what needs to be done. She always does above and beyond what is required of her, and she pushes past her limits. She deserves to do well in life and I know she will.

— Makalia Jenkins

Many children in the Kearsley district attend the day care at “The Big Red House” on Belsay Road.

One of her best friends, senior Makalia Jenkins, also works at the day care, helping out whenever Silvas needs it.

Jenkins believes that Silvas is a hard worker and that she deserves the absolute best.

“Lia has always worked hard to get done what needs to be done,” Jenkins said. “She always does above and beyond what is required of her, and she pushes past her limits. She deserves to do well in life, and I know she will.”

Silvas has danced for many years at multiple dance studios.

She is currently a member of the Red Company, a competition company at Decamps Spotlight School of Dance, located in Davison.

The Red Company is the studio’s highest regarded company, holding Decamps Spotlight’s most talented dancers.

Silvas has been a member of this company for the last two years, and she worked hard to get there. Many hours and years of dancing were put into achieving her goal of making it into the Red Company.

Through her passion for dance, Silvas believes she has learned many life lessons because of it.

As Silvas nears the end of her dance life, she is going to miss her passion for dancing.

IMAGE / Mrs. Jennifer Silvas
Senior Kennedy Lints (l to r), KHS alumna Kaitlyn Alburtus, and senior Lia Silvas attend a country concert at DTE Energy Music Thetre during the summer of 2017.

“Dance has meant so much to me over the years, and although this stage of my life is over, I will never stop moving,” Silvas said. “I am so thankful for all the lessons I’ve learned and the memories I’ve made that will forever hold a special place in my heart.”

Friends are a big part of Silvas’s life as well.

If she isn’t dancing, then she is spending time with her friends.

She is supportive of her friends in everything that they do.  Her friends describe her as loyal, encouraging, and loving.

Senior Kennedy Lints believes that Silvas is a good friend and is always there to cheer her on while she is doing the thing she loves.

“Lia comes to all my cheer events she can and has always been a great friend to me,” Lints said. “We support each other, and I couldn’t ask for a better friend.”

Silvas is an extraordinary girl and is loved by many. She has a bright future ahead of her and a great group of people to support her in her future endeavors.