Blond captures first place, leads Hornets at singles tournament

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley

Sophomore Imari Blond led Kearsley at a singles tournament in Bay City on Sunday, Feb. 11.

Sophomore Imari Blond finished as the S&R Singles Tournament champion at Monitor Lanes in Bay City.

The Hornets fared well in the singles tournament Sunday, Feb. 11, with all seven of their bowlers making the cut to match play.

Eighty bowlers competed in the tournament.

Blond’s score of 1,385 led Kearsley.

Blond won the tournament after defeating Kendyl Hofmeister from Essexville-Garber 234-170 in the final.

All seven Hornets made the cut to advance in the tournament.

The seven bowlers who qualified in the top 18 were senior Emma Boychuk was third, throwing threw a 1,124 total. In fourth, senior Barbara Hawes rolled a 1,091 total. Rounding out the top five was junior Alexis Roof, racked up a 1,086 total.

Freshman Allison Robbins threw a 1,035 total for 12th place.

Finally, junior Mary Wheeler and senior Karlee Griffin tied for 13th place. Each girl rolled a 1,030 total.

After qualifying, the girls competed in a step ladder tournament, which Blond would eventually emerge as a champion.

Four of Kearsley’s bowlers advanced into the top five.

In the top five, Wheeler was knocked out after the first round while Boychuck left after the second round.

Hawes was defeated in round three, leaving only Blond and Hofmeister to battle each other in the final.

This story was corrected and updated after the initial story said Blond finished second.