Students stick with resolutions

IMAGE / Pexels

Thursday, Jan. 17, was “Ditch New Years Resolution Day,” a day on which many people finally ditch their New Year’s resolutions, if they haven’t already.

However, not all of the students at KHS have ditched their resolutions yet.

Senior Grace Hoffman made resolutions about school and her work.

Her resolutions are to stay on top of things and to stop procrastinating on her homework.

So far, Hoffman hasn’t started working on her resolutions, but plans too after this semester ends.

“I’m just going to try and start with the new semester because it’s easier to start fresh there,” Hoffman said.

Senior Matt Turner also made a few resolutions for himself.

Turner is trying to have a positive outlook on life starting in 2018.

“Mine were not to let one person ruin my day and not worry about things I have no control over,” Turner said. “So far I’ve stuck with it, even at work.”

When people start to bring Turner down, he thinks of this quote, “There are seven billion people on the planet. Why let one ruin your day?”

When he starts to get stressed out about the things around him he reminds himself that life is short and there’s no point to worry.

Junior Mary Wheeler has stuck with her resolutions so far, as well.

Her resolutions included exercising more and eating healthier.

“When I wake up I do a little workout to get my day started,” Wheeler said.

Changing your lifestyle is hard, but Wheeler continues to push herself.

“It’s hard to do sometimes,” Wheeler said. “But as long as I keep telling myself it’s worth it, I’ve been doing pretty well.”

I personally made a few resolutions, but it took me a while to get started on them.

My resolutions revolved around being a healthier person, not just physically, but emotionally and mentally as well.

So far I have stuck with my resolutions with my sister by my side to push me along.

To make myself physically healthier, I have started eating healthier foods and working out. I have been looking up homemade recipes for alternatives to junk food and trying to cut out pop.

I am also trying to stop the little things from getting to me. I am an emotional person, so it’s hard to do that.

But every time something makes me upset, I think to myself, “Is this going to affect my life long term?”

If the answer is no, I keep telling myself that everything is OK and that it’s not a big deal.

I am not a very motivated person, so I’m training my mind to become more organized and to get into a healthy mindset.

Since the beginning of the school year I have kept a planner to help myself become more organized and my resolution is to continue using one throughout my years in college and even when I start my career.

To get in a healthy mindset, every time I think to myself I can’t do this math problem because it’s “too hard” or I go into a test thinking I’m going to fail, I stop myself and take a deep breath and think, “You can and you will do it, and it’ll all be OK.”

So far, the students of KHS have kept up with their habits and are doing better than expected based on this holiday. I have heard people say it takes an average of 21 days to break an old habit and replace it with another.

We’ve made it 19 days so far. Let’s all make it through the next two.

Good luck to all of you trying to stick with your resolutions this year.