Seniors share tips for freshmen on exams

IMAGE / flickr

Second semester exams are coming up in June and, while this still seems far away, seniors know this feeling all too well. With exams approaching, it’s time for students to buckle down and start studying.

Since the Freshman Class has only experienced the stress of exams once in high school, here are six tips from the Senior Class about preparing for exams.

1. Don’t procrastinate.

With the end of school looming, exams are going to be here before you know it.

A lot of students have a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to study or look over reviews.

Procrastinating only causes stress and anxiety, waiting until the night before to study can sacrifice good grades.

Senior Zai Weine knows the consequences of procrastination.

“Don’t procrastinate, it basically sets you up for failure,” Weine said. “I had to retake Spanish I because I waited until the last minute and ended up failing.”

Most seniors had a rude awakening during freshman year due to not taking exams seriously.

2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

Always ask for help on anything you’re confused about. That’s what teachers are for. Don’t take the exam not feeling confident about the subject. Be aware of extra help you may need and seek it out.

Senior Rayiona Braziel believes that asking questions is important.

“Don’t sit and wait for others to ask questions. The longer you wait, the further you get behind,” Braziel said. ” You don’t ever want to take a test feeling insecure or confused about the subject.”

There are tutors available after school for the majority of subjects offered at KHS. Take control of your grades.

3. Start studying now

More often than not, freshmen tend to score lower on exams because they don’t take exams seriously or they study at the last minute. It’s really important for students to have good study habits.

Senior Hannah Alexander experienced the tough transition from eighth grade to ninth grade.

“Take the exams seriously. Be responsible and start studying now,” Alexander said. “High school and middle school are completely different. You have to study to get the grade you want.”

Take advantage of all the study materials and exam reviews that teachers give out.

4. Bring food, water, gum, etc.

Exam days can make students feel exhausted afterward. It’s important to refuel with food and stay hydrated with water.

Eating breakfast can improve brain function and prevent restlessness throughout the day. Even chewing gum or a peppermint improves focus during tests.

It’s easy to forget to eat breakfast or skip a snack when under a lot of stress, but it’s important to remember to take care of your body.

5. Take your time, don’t stress

Some students worry or have racing minds during tests. Always remember to breathe and focus.

Senior Emily Diehl focuses on answering all of the questions during tests.

“Don’t worry about being the last one to finish. Just focus on your test,” Diehl said. “Answer every question and, if you have enough time, go back and check your answers.”

Try to reread questions if there is ever any confusion, and if you get stuck, move on and come back to the problem later.

Using the process of elimination during tests can help pick the correct answer with less hesitation. Try crossing out answers that you know are incorrect, then choose the correct answer from the remaining pool.

6. Come to school

Some students get into a habit of being late to school or not coming multiple times a week. It is vital to be present when material is being taught.

Senior Dakota Nelson knows the difficulty of taking a test without having been in school.

“It’s harder to learn and understand a subject if you’re gone all the time. It’s better to be present when the subject is being taught by the teacher,” Nelson said.

Attendance is an essential key to doing well in school. It also lessens the homework load.

Exams are tough and they’re meant to be, but once they’re over the weight will be off your shoulders.

The featured image is from flickr.