‘Summer on the Road’ inspires students, expands their horizons

IMAGE / Ke'Lexis Love

Junior Joseclyn Burns shows off her Summer On The Road T-shirt.

Although summer is months away from now, many students already know what they plan to do for the hottest time of the year.

Whether it be working or going out of state for a three-month long vacation, everyone should have something to participate in this upcoming summer.

For those students who are unsure of what they want to do, or just have no idea, here is a program that will definitely keep you busy, entertained, and allow you to meet new people and make new friends.

The program is called “Summer on the Road.”

It is a summer program sponsored by both Teen and Youth Quest. Students eligible to participate in the program have to be enrolled into a Genesee County school and be in seventh grade or above.

The program starts in the last week of June and ends at the beginning of August.

It runs four days a week, Tuesday through Friday, from 1 to 4 p.m.

While being a member of this program, students are treated with the privilege of going on a different field trip each day.

Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are days for small field trips such as going to Richfield Bowl, Genesee Career Institute’s Base Camp, or the NCG Trillium movie theater in Grand Blanc.

Fridays are reserved for fields trip that require leaving the city or state, such as going to CJ Barrymore’s in Utica, Covenant Hills Camp Restore in Otisville, or Kalahari Resorts in Sandusky, Ohio.

Junior Joscelyn Burns, who was part of the program this past summer, enjoyed her experience in the program.

IMAGE / Ke’Lexis Love
Junior Joscelyn Burns sports one of her Youth Quest T-shirts the group wore in Washington, D.C.

“My first day there was absolutely terrifying,” Burns said. “But the more I went and the more I participated, the more relaxed and outgoing I became. The guides were, honestly, some of the nicest people I’d ever met, and I could tell they really cared about us.”

Although the program takes the students on field trips everyday, they are required to take a two-week break to involve the students in a service-learning activity.

The students went to Baker College to participate in a class of their choice. Some of the top picks were cosmetology, pre-med, culinary, and video production. After the two weeks were over, students presented the projects they worked on in the class to the rest of the group.

To keep students from missing too many days, and to keep them entertained enough throughout the entire program, Teen and Youth Quest organize what they call “the end of the summer trip.”

This “end of the summer” trip is the final field trip. It is the farthest away from home and lasts for several days. This past summer, students visited Washington, D.C., for five days.

While in Washington, D.C., students visited major tourist attractions such as the World War II memorial, the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial, the White House, the National Museum of African American History & Culture, and more.

T0 be able to go on this trip students, cannot miss more than two days of the program or have any behavioral issues.

Whether or not students join this program is completely up to them. Every field trip is free of charge and fully paid for by the sponsors, even the “end of the summer” trip.