Former MSU basketball player speaks out against bullying

IMAGE / Brianna Horne

Mr. Anthony Ianni, motivational speaker, addresses the underclassmen at KHS. Ianni spoke to the upperclassmen as well on Monday, Dec. 19.

In high school, Mr. Anthony Ianni was bullied by an older student because he had autism.

But one day after playing in a college basketball game Ianni was leaving the arena, and when he got outside, someone was waiting for him to sign a basketball.

Ironically, it was his bully.

What did Ianni do? He signed the ball and wished the man well because Ianni wanted to be the “bigger person.”

Ianni told this story to students at KHS on Monday, Dec. 19. He was there to speak out against bullying.

Playing basketball at Michigan State University, Ianni ended up on teams that won two Big Ten championships and a Big Ten Tournament title.

But what makes Ianni unique is that he has autism, making him the first person to play Division I basketball with the disorder.

Autism, a mental condition that makes it difficult for people to communicate and build relationships, is a fairly common disorder that affects about 3.5 million Americans.

At 4 years old, Ianni was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which falls in the autism spectrum. Doctors told his parents that he would never graduate high school, let alone be an athlete.

IMAGE / Brianna Horne
Mr. Anthony Ianni, who has autism, inspires students with his candid talks.

He was bullied for most of his childhood. When he was young, there wasn’t much to be known about autism and no one really understood what it was.

During that time period, during the ’90s, nobody really knew what autism was. Nobody really knew the traits and characteristics of it,” Ianni said. “I mean, people knew of it, but there was zero awareness for it. I mean, there’s awareness for it now, but it could be more.”

According to the Autism Society, one in 68 children has autism.

On his public speaking tour, called “Relentless Tour,” Ianni visits high schools all over the country to spread his message about his disorder and bullying.

“When I first started this I didn’t want it to be centered around autism. I feel like it’s because of who I am that it got centered around it, and I’m alright with that. But at the same time this is just for people to hear and see what I went through as a kid and where I’m at today,” Ianni said. “At the end of the day, if we just keep bringing more awareness and studying and learning about it, we can also help those going through a tough time on the spectrum as well.”

Ianni’s message spreads beyond just those who fall onto the autism spectrum. It is for all of those going through a hard time in their lives.

Pullquote Photo

I’ve seen some schools that have made some drastic changes, and I’m proud to say that the Relentless Tour has made a change.

— Anthony Ianni, motivational speaker

“It’s not just kids on the spectrum but anybody with a learning disability or a disability in general who is going through a tough time in life,” he said, “just for them to be able to see that if Anthony Ianni can do this, why can’t I?”

Part of Ianni’s message is that anyone can do anything they want as long as they find their talent. But when people haven’t found their talents yet, which can be frustrating, they should persevere because their time will come.

Find your niche. If you find your niche in life and stick to it you’re gonna be great at what you do in your life,” Ianni said. “Whether it’s technology, engineering, being a lawyer, a police officer, a fireman, drawing, being a video game artist, whatever it is.

“Everybody has a talent in life that they have to discover, and most people don’t discover their talent until they’re in their 20s. So, just be patient, don’t get upset. Patience is the key to being successful in life.”

There is no doubt that Ianni had to be patient to get where he is today. He had to fight through his disorder to do what he loves and now to spread his message to those who may be going through the same issues.

Ianni, who works for the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, said that the goal of eradicating bullying can only be met with direct participation from young people.

I’ve seen some schools that have made some drastic changes, and I’m proud to say that the Relentless Tour has made a change. But it’s not gonna start with me. I can show up for an hour, say what I need to say, but I can’t get to everybody,” Ianni said. “My goal is to make an impact, to leave an impact even if it’s only on one person. And I managed to do that today.  My goal is done. But it’s gotta start with them.”

Regardless of the challenge it takes to impact someone’s life and their view on the subject, Ianni is confident that he has made a difference.

IMAGE / Brianna Horne
Mr. Anthony Ianni speaks to students about bullying at Kearsley on Monday, Dec. 19.

“I guarantee you there is at least one person in this audience who is gonna step up to the plate today and say ‘Hey, that’s not how we do it here,’” Ianni said.

Bullying isn’t the only thing that Ianni plans to speak about.

He has talked about suicide prevention at Oakland University, which is usually connected directly to bullying.

“That’s definitely something I would like to focus on down the road because it ties into bullying and everything,” Ianni said. “I also do a lot of motivational talks to teams, universities, and different high schools around the country. I definitely do more than just this, and I am trying to push and show people that this is who I am.”