College provides stability for your future

Gracen+Nelson

Gracen Nelson

Having a college education is almost as important as graduating high school in this generation.

High school graduates today, without college education, are unlikely to obtain high paying jobs that were once available for previous generations.

One of the most important reasons to obtain a college education is opportunity.

With a college education, you are more likely to be offered promotions and raises.

So why do many high school graduates decide against attending college?

It is appealing to most, if not all, high school students to jump right into work after high school to get a paycheck.

A paycheck motivates everyone.

However, a minimum-wage paycheck is nothing compared to a paycheck for someone with a college degree.

The difference in pay between a high school diploma and an associates degree is over $10,000 a year in Michigan.

Many students who are about to graduate high school or who are already graduated are afraid of the cost of attending college.

No one wants to be in debt and have the burden of repaying student loans (especially me).

There are ways to pay for college that do not include paying out of your pocket.

All students who want to attend college should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and apply for as many scholarships as they are eligible for.

There is work-study available at colleges to help pay off tuition, along with other options, that you can get through the FAFSA.

I recommend students spending a year at their local community college before going to a university to save money.

Going to college can put you in a lot of debt, but getting a degree can help you get out of the debt fast.

Education also provides security.

People with college educations are more likely to find a job, keep the job, and be promoted at that job than those without a degree.

In addition, an employer will hire a person with a degree over a person without one. Plain and simple.

But college is not high school.

In high school, students are hand-fed and are given leniency.

In college, you have to put in hard work and dedication. Do not let that scare you.

College is also fun and rewarding to both you and your family’s future.

Students whose parents did not attend college often do not attend college themselves.

If you want your children or future children to go to college, let them know it is possible to go to college.

I encourage all people who have not attended college to go and do it.

Going to college is important for yourself and family.

Going to college will also better your education, better your pay, and better your life.