Kearsley Christmas Charities raises money for community

IMAGE / Ryan Thomas

It is that time of year again. Everyone is hanging up their Christmas lights and putting up their Christmas trees.

The school district is is showing its holiday spirit with an annual tradition: the Kearsley Christmas Charities.

To raise money for those in the community that are facing hardship, Kearsley Community Schools raises funds in many ways.

Gift certificates are given out as a big part of the charity. The distribution of funds and gift certificates varies depends upon the situation.

Commonly, families with more children receive more gifts.

“It has been awesome to be a part of,” said Mr. Craig Golembiewski, guidance counselor. “We do get to see the benefit of it.”

Since this a district-wide tradition, each school has gone about raising money in different ways.

Several of this year’s charity events took place during Homecoming week.

Before this year’s Homecoming game, there was a tailgate party. Pancakes and sausages were served at the party that raised $433.

During the first and second quarters of the Homecoming game, DECA students went around with buckets to collect small donations from people in the stands. In one minute, $296.32 was raised. They called it “A Miracle Minute,” a name they adopted from a DECA charity for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

In addition to the homecoming events, the high school puts on staff vs. students events to contribute to the charity. This year’s football game raised almost $1,300.

The staff  contributes to the charity.  They are allowed to pay $20 to $40 to wear jeans every day from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

It feels good to give back to our community, and we do that through Kearsley Christmas Charities.

— Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal

Another fundraiser involved athletes and sponsoring opportunities, where businesses, staff, and family members could pay $10 to sponsor an athlete. This fundraiser earned about $3,500.

With a lot of hard work from the staff and students, the school district is able to help those in the community facing hard times.

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, said he likes the charity.

“It feels good to give back to our community,” Wiskur said, “and we do that through Kearsley Christmas Charities.”