Nowacki breaks Kearsley swim record

IMAGE / Mr. Joe Mier

Noel Nowacki, sophomore, (right) prepares for his record-breaking 100-yard breaststroke aside Davison’s Matthew LePalm.

Sophomore Noel Nowacki broke a school record.

Nowacki’s 1:03.07 in the 100-yard breaststroke at the Genesee County Invitational bested the old record by two seconds and was good enough to place second.

He also qualified for the Division 2 state meet.

Nowacki feels that he has earned these accomplishments.

“I practice at least eight times a week,” Nowacki said. “My coach and I have worked hard to get where I am, and I plan to keep breaking my own record.”

The boys’ swim team placed eighth at the meet on Saturday, Jan. 16.

Grand Blanc finished in first place with 617.5 points. Fenton finished second with 329 points, followed by Swartz Creek with 257.5 points.

The Hornets ended the meet in eighth place out of 11 teams, which is impressive for only having six swimmers.

The 200 medley relay placed sixth in 1:51.80.

The relay consisted of seniors Montrell Herrington and Trent Kehoe and sophomores Ricky Jackson and Nowacki.

This relay team qualified for the Michigan Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association meet.

The same relay team of Herrington, Kehoe, Jackson, and Nowacki placed fifth in the 200 freestyle relay, with a time of 1:41.34.

Nowacki also placed seventh in the 100 butterfly with a time of 59.01. He thinks good things are yet to come in the rest of the season.

“It felt great to break the record,” Nowacki said. “I was excited when it happened, but I am practicing hard to get in the right shape for states.”

The Hornets swim against Fenton on Thursday, Jan. 21, at  home. The meet starts at 6 p.m.