Snails slug into French classes

IMAGE / Pixabay

The snails have arrived.

For Madame Kim Rouvelin’s French 2 students, this is exciting news.

Rouvelin said she has been doing an annual snail project for the last four or five years.

French 2 students, who are doing the project, have to adopt a snail and build its house, among other things.

In the first week of December, the students received the adoption letter they had to fill out.

On this adoption letter, they chose the gender, along with the name of the snail they wanted.

Although the snail picking is anonymous and the students do not know which snail they will receive, they were given the option as to what they would prefer.

The students then wrote a letter saying what they will do to care for their snail. They also wrote what they will not do to their snail.

Sophomore Kaylee Schlopper said she enjoys the project and is excited to receive her snail she named Fin.

“This project is quite time consuming, and it takes a lot of preparation,” Schlopper said. “I haven’t gotten my snail yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what mine will look like.”

Later, the students will have to draw their snail’s house. The project has to include five to six different bedrooms.

After this, the students have to write short sentences talking to an architect, explaining how they want their house formatted.

Following this, students form their 2D project into a booklet and will present it orally to Rouvelin.

Sophomore Bailee Stevens is a French 3 student who has already been through the process of creating a snail house.

“I enjoyed this project very much,” Stevens said. “I was eager to see what the snails looked like when they came, but I soon realized they all looked the same.”

This project is not set out to be a hard project. It is intended to be a fun experience.

But Stevens said she struggled with a portion of the project.

“The hardest part of this project for me was presenting it orally to Madame,” Stevens said. “It was quite nerve-racking.”

Rouvelin said that her intentions of this project were to make it challenging but not to be anything the students could not handle.

“Oral is always the section of the project that gets put out to be the hardest, but ends up being the easiest,” she said. “Students tend to find the writing portion the hardest of all.”