Senate bill would allow schools to start before Labor Day

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons

The Seal of Michigan

A state senator proposed a new bill that would allow public school districts to start school before Labor Day.

Senate Bill 567, presented by Sen. Marty Knollenberg, R-Troy, on Oct. 15, would give public schools the right to start the school year in August before Labor Day — a decision that has been met with serious opposition from the tourism industry and students alike.

In addition, the bill would not allow school on the Friday before the Labor Day weekend.

Currently, Michigan’s public schools are required to start school after Labor Day due to a state law that went into effect with the 2006-2007 school year.

However, some students, like junior Michael Parker, prefer the late start date and oppose the bill.

“I feel that this bill isn’t a great idea, considering most kids dislike going to school anyways,” Parker said. “It would anger students even more to start in late August.”

Heavy opposition to the bill was largely met from the Michigan summer tourism industry, which stressed the fact that tourism was the state’s third biggest industry. Families typically vacation in July and August. The early start would cut into families’ planned vacation time.

Meanwhile proponents of the bill feel that the early start in August would help students academically and allow local educators to properly decide what is best for students while still allowing families to plan summer vacations around the early start.

This bill could work out for us in the long run even though it may seem bad for students now.

— Maikayla Josling, sophomore

Sophomore Maikayla Josling agrees with Knollenberg’s opinion and believes that the bill should be passed.

“This bill could work out for us in the long run even though it may seem bad for students now,” Josling said. “It could allow for students to get out of school earlier, meaning more time for students to plan longer vacations with friends and families.”

Other bills such as this have sprouted up earlier in the decade, but all of them have been unsuccessful.