Students show off spirit, donate to food bank for ABC12 spirit week

The ABC12 Spirit Squad came to KHS on Friday, Sept. 11.

The news staff over at ABC12 runs a program every year called the “Spirit Squad,” a competition to see which school has the most spirit in mid-Michigan.

Athletics Director Paul Gaudard is happy that the event was scheduled for Sept. 11.

“The people at ABC12 know that we have our 9/11 memorial at the school, so they thought it would be good to kick the contest off here,” Gaudard said.

Junior Brittney Williams attended Spirit Squad to represent the swim team.

Williams is happy that the event donates to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.

“I think the Spirit Squad is a good idea because it helps others in need,” Williams said.

Students of all grade levels participate in the ABC12 Spirit Challenge.
IMAGE / Karmen Bishoff

Early in the morning, students gathered around Buzz to show their school spirit in front of the camera. As part of the Spirit Challenge, students were asked to bring in non-perishable food items such as canned food and personal care items.

These items, although the visit has already happened, can still be collected until the end of the Spirit Challenge.

During the visit, senior Karmen Bishoff was able to spin the wheel and add an extra 675 pounds of food to the items that we had already collected, courtesy of ELGA Credit Union.

The competition will be going on throughout the school year, so students should continue to make donations.

Gaudard said that further donations can be brought to his office, and at the end of the year ABC12 will count up all of the donations and name the winner of the Spirit Challenge.