The Eclipse seniors say goodbye

Seniors give parting words to remaining staff

IMAGE / Mr. Darrick J. Puffer

The Eclipse seniors pose for their final picture. The staff is Rebecca Barringer (back left) Amellia Vasquez-Collins, Tiarra Taylor, Madison Cooper (front left), Dylan Brewer, Aaron Haack, Ben Roof, and Alicia Konsez. Missing from the photo are Miranda Blaine and Ruth Erickson.

Senior year has come to a close, and a large chunk of The Eclipse staff will be gone, leaving the site in the hands of the sports and A&E editor, the copy editors, and the rest of the reporters.

As the seniors leave, they give the staff a few words about their experiences in journalism and say their goodbyes.

Rebecca Barringer: “Journalism is not just a cause, it’s also a wacky profession,” David Talbot said. This relates to our year as part of the journalism staff more than anything. As it was the first year, it was filled with struggles and high points. Journalism is the class I looked forward to everyday and leaving is not something I will enjoy. But I know that the people we left behind will do an excellent job with maintaining The Eclipse. Good luck to the future staff.

Barringer
Rebecca Barringer
Brewer
Dylan Brewer

Miranda Blaine: I am going to miss this school and the journalism class. It makes me sad that I could only enjoy journalism for a year. I have learned so much in this class, and it is definitely going to help me in collegiate writing. Who knows? I might even join the newspaper club at Ferris. Shout out to Mr. Puffer.

Dylan Brewer: As William Shakespeare wrote, “Brevity is the soul of wit.” Journalism taught me the art of being concise. There is no excuse for using two words when one will suffice, so goodbye.

Madison Cooper:  The closer it gets to the end, the more I’m expecting myself to miss this. However, it’s not coming. I move to Olivet in a little under two months. Maybe I’ll miss it then. Probably not. But I am extremely proud of the things this group has accomplished and I’m looking forward to checking in on you guys. Keep up the amazing work. Deuces.

Cooper
Madison Cooper

Ruth Erickson: I want to say thank you to our adviser for teaching me how to write good and all of our editors for fixing so many mistakes. There was a lot of effort put in by the whole class to have our great newspaper. Good luck to the students next year! I will be checking in often, so peace out Girl Scouts.

Aaron Haack: My advice for next year’s staff? Use pull quotes and the add media function, they both add to your word count. Oh, and write the article before you get your quotes, it helps you figure out what you need them to respond to. See ya.

Alicia Konsez: There is no metaphor, no simile, and no symbol that can describe how happy I am to graduate. I wish good luck to the staff of The Eclipse. Continue to write awesome articles so I can catch up with what’s going down in K-town when I am having a totally radical time at GVSU.

Ben Roof: “Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.” – Henry Anatole Grunwald

Ben Roof
Ben Roof

Tiarra Taylor: Being in journalism has taught me that you have to get your work done because deadlines are important. Another thing would be that you have to be creative with your writing style, and no matter how hard it is you have to be social because you have to do interviews. Thank you and goodbye.

Amellia Vasquez-Collins: The importance of the press is often ignored by high school students. It keeps the public informed of events and items that are often pushed out of the light. I joined The Eclipse to emphasize this importance. I hope that the program continues to thrive and grow, providing future students and readers with the opportunities that journalism presented to me.

Amellia Vasquez-Collins
Amellia Vasquez-Collins