Seniors give good advice to juniors

Ben+Roof

IMAGE / Mr. Darrick J. Puffer

Ben Roof

Senior year is an important year for all students.

Filled with college applications, scholarship applications, senior exit projects, and graduation, senior year can be very stressful.

Here are a few tips from some seniors that can help you get through senior year:

1. Stay focused on your work.

During senior year there will be work that you have to do, and it is important to complete it. The grades you receive senior year will affect your GPA, which colleges accept you, and what rank you finish in your class.

Senior year is “just as important as the others (years),” senior Chase Bailey said. “‘Senioritis is a mindset. You don’t have it until you say you have it, so stay focused all year, and do not get complacent.”

2. Take your time on your college applications.

Along with GPA and ACT/SAT scores, college applications play a major role in which colleges will accept you and which ones will deny you.

A good application with good grammar and that reads easy, will grant you more of a chance to get into college than if the application has errors and is hard to understand.

“Start practicing your application essay writing abilities, learn how an application essay is written,” Bailey said.

Besides writing good applications, preparing the application as soon as possible will allow time for people to read over and edit your work.

“Get all applications in as soon as you possibly can, ” senior Kyle Alburtus said. “Don’t wait until the last minute.”

3. Prepare a good senior exit project.

During senior year, one of the most important things that you will do is your senior exit project. The senior exit project is a major part of the second semester grade.

The main part of the senior project is the seven essays that are worked on throughout the year.

“Stay on top of things, don’t get behind on the essays,” senior Samantha Redick said.

Because the senior project is presented in front of the students’ senior English class, many students stress out about the presentation.

“Don’t stress. Everyone is just as nervous as you,” Bailey said. “Don’t procrastinate, and know what you are going to say.”

4. General things to help get to graduation.

• Stay under the absence limit
  • Do not take senior year too lightly
  • Do your work
  • Enjoy the year (since it is your last)