High school presents a change of pace for freshmen

IMAGE / Ave'r McKay

Freshmen should be prepared for the change of pace that high school presents.

As the school year has just begun, it is important that freshmen understand the importance of their freshman year and how it factors into their high school career.

The transition from middle school to high school is a bit bigger than most would think, but it is a transition that has to be picked up on fast.

Students often do not go into freshman year with the right mentality. Even though it will most likely be one of the easiest years they will have, it still holds importance.

If freshman year is not done the right way, there is a risk of damaged GPAs and ruined relationships with teachers and faculty. It is far easier to maintain these than it is to try and repair them.

Sophomore DeMia Johnson recommends staying focused on what matters.

“Get good study habits now,” Johnson said. “Put yourself, your grades, and athletics first.”

If students do not do well their freshman year, it will be hard to bring their GPAs back up to where they want them to be.

Freshmen need to know that although completing quality work and studying may seem like a lot of work, it will all pay off in the end.

Throughout freshman year, several things will change for students, from the way they and their friends behave to the friends they have.

These changes are normal and happen to everyone. To Kearsley alumnus Mr. Montrell Herrington, what is important is staying true to yourself.

Take advantage of every opportunity you get. Whether it be school events or dances, go to them.

— Rebecca Moyer, senior

“Be yourself. Good people and things will eventually find their way to you,” Herrington said. “Don’t fake your way through life.”

While keeping your work habits and attitude in check, it is also important to have fun, according to senior Rebecca Moyer.

“Take advantage of every opportunity you get. Whether it be school events or dances, go to them,” Moyer said. “You’ll regret it if you don’t.”

High school is a time of discovery, and it is when students should develop work habits. But, overall, it should be a good four years.