Two Hornets get a glimpse of the work life

There is one thing all students have in common — they need their own money. Luckily for two students at KHS, this is not a problem that they have any longer.

Seniors Alexis Schwartz and Cami Clarambeau were willing to share their jobs with The Eclipse, as well as share helpful tips they have picked up while working.

Alexis Schwartz

Junior Alexis Schwartz works at the YMCA in downtown Flint.
IMAGE / Makalia Jenkins
Senior Alexis Schwartz, middle, works at the YMCA in downtown Flint.

Schwartz is a lifeguard at the YMCA in downtown Flint.

Schwartz makes $9 an hour.

“This is a good start,” Schwartz said. “I work about three to four days a week, which helps, considering I’m involved a lot with school.”

Schwartz does not work as often as she would like but enjoys the flexibility of her work schedule, considering a lot of Schwartz’s time is taken up by extracurricular activities.

“I found the director to be very flexible with my schedule, which was very helpful,” Schwartz said. “I basically get to pick my hours and what days I work.”

Schwartz is busy outside of the classroom because she is the president of Kearsley’s Student Council, is a member of the National Honor Society, and is a member of the varsity swim and track teams.

Schwartz said that being involved in swimming strongly influenced her decision to become a lifeguard and made it easy to pick her job.

“I knew I was a strong swimmer, so it made it easy for me to pass the physical part in the process of being certified,” Schwartz said proudly. “I am comfortable in the pool since I am there all the time, so being a lifeguard only made sense.”

No student really wants a job, so it seems to be more of a forced action. Luckily for Schwartz she enjoys her job.

Because she believes swimming is underrated, Schwartz is happy that she can be a part of changing swimming’s reputation one child at a time.

“My absolute favorite part (of my job) is teaching swim lessons,” Schwartz said with excitement. “I love working with kids and being able to teach them an underrated skill. This is very important in my opinion.”

Although Schwartz has minimal job experience, she has already discovered the rules of work life.

“As far as keeping a job, everyone who wants to be employed needs to be professional. In an interview, you need to be respectful and confident,” Schwartz said. “Staying on top of all of your responsibilities and doing what you’re supposed to is the most important thing. You can’t make excuses for anything.”

Schwartz plans to make her decision about continuing her job after she graduates high school.

Cami Clarambeau

Cami Clarambeau, junior, works at the Corner Cone.
IMAGE / Makalia Jenkins
Cami Clarambeau, senior, works at the Corner Cone and Baby Jakes Pizza.

Clarambeau is an employee at Baby Jake’s Pizza and Corner Cone, which is no easy task.

Clarambeau is involved within the school as her class president, a member of National Honor Society, and a member of the Drama Club.

She used to play tennis but found that new responsibilities forced her to make sacrifices, so she is no longer a member of the tennis team.

Clarambeau is a bubbly person with a friendly attitude toward everyone.

She is confident, according to her friends. But she was nervous about her job interview.

“I was called three days after my interview, and it was not that hard to get my job,” Clarambeau said. “But I was very nervous going into the interview and then waiting for a call.”

Clarambeau works 10-14 hours a week and makes minimum wage, $8.50 an hour, which she said is good money, considering she enjoys her job.

My favorite part about my job is getting to see all the people in my community who come to get ice cream,” Clarambeau said.

Clarambeau said it did not take her long to understand the work life and appropriate work behavior.

“Working hard, staying focussed, being respectful, and not complaining about work online are good ways to keep your job,” Clarambeau said with confidence.

Clarambeau plans to continue working at Corner Cone and Baby Jakes until college.

Then when the time comes, she will decided what her next step is.

While trying to get her job, Schwartz said she did not have to write a resume. She just had to complete an application. But she thinks resumes are beneficial.

“Bringing a resume is something I highly recommend,” Schwartz said. “It looks very good when applying for a job.”

Clarambeau did have to write a resume, but she said she did not know how to make it stand out.

Below is not only a tutorial on how to write a resume but a few tips on how to make it stand out.

Tips for creating a resume link:

Click here

How to create a resume link:

Click here