GCI gives students a look at the real world

Remus+Pitts+%28GCI+member%29+and+Nicholas+MacDonald+%28GCI+member.%29+

IMAGE / Gabrielle Ray

Remus Pitts (GCI member) and Nicholas MacDonald (GCI member.)

Genesee Career institute (GCI) is a program that offers students around the county an opportunity to have exposure to the workforce.

Students at GCI earn advanced knowledge on a career of their choice and are given the opportunity to gain immediate entry into the workforce, get information to use in post-secondary education, or earn college credit.

KHS offers this program to their 11th-12th grade students.

Here at Kearsley our students have chosen to participate in the following programs at GCI; Electrical Wiring, Digital Art, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Forensic Science, 3-D Game Programming, multiple medical programs, Cost Trades, Auto Tech, Welding, Agriculture, Robotics and Mechanics, and JROTC.

Senior Nicholas MacDonald is currently enrolled in GCI’s Robotics and Mechatronics program.

MacDonald said he put in an application for GCI at the end of his junior year.

“I saw they had Robotics and wanted to get a head start on any future careers I’ll pursue,” Macdonald said.

MacDonald feels very happy with his decision and is glad to be part of a team that puts in hard work.

” Everyone there is willing to work equally as hard as I am as we all had to apply to be placed in the class,” Macdonald stated.

Another senior, Thomas Brewer-Brown, is involved with the Agricultural program at GCI.

Similarly to MacDonald, Brewer-Brown highlighted GCI’s involvement in helping with future career plans.

“I like getting to do a bunch of hands on learning and learning things that will help me in a future career,” Brewer-Brown noted.

While GCI is only offered to 11th and 12th graders, some younger students started to plan for the future.

Sophomore Vicky Burcar is planning to put in an application for their junior year.

Burcar mentioned the reason they put an application is because they wanted a change.

“It’s something different than the normal curriculum. I want a more unique experience,” Burcar said.

Kearsley isn’t the only school that offers the GCI program, the majority of schools in Genesee County offer GCI to their students.

GCI can offer a lot to students, from kids who want a jump-start to their future career or someone who wants to explore different curriculum.