IMAGE / Connor Earegood

Junior Raydoffa Braziel will return to the boys track and field team after being a part of the All-State 800-meter relay team last season.

Boys track sprints into uncertain season

Coach Paul Adas will lead the boys track and field team into the 2019 season with progress in mind.

IMAGE / Hicks Studio of Davison
Sophomore Braylon Silvas long jumps during his freshman track season. Silvas was last year’s leading scorer and is a captain on the track and field team.

The team lost half of its scoring athletes and around 42 percent of its total scoring to graduation.

“(There is) a lot of uncertainty because we have so many new athletes,” Adas said. “We graduated a lot last year.”

Making up this deficit is a major concern for the program.

Adas hopes veteran athletes like sophomore Braylon Silvas and junior Raydoffa Braziel — who competed on the All-State 800-meter-relay team last season — will step up to teach accountability to the young team.

Silvas was the team’s leading scorer last season and will look to improve his totals this year.

According to Adas, he is a great motivator for the team.

IMAGE / Connor Earegood
Junior Raydoffa Braziel (right) will be one of Coach Paul Adas’ leaders on the track and field team.

“He (Silvas) was my captain in basketball,” Adas said. “He is our captain and our leader this season as well.”

An injury will limit how Silvas is used early in the season, but Adas is confident he will be healthy within the month.

“I’m not going to hurdle him in the first meet so he doesn’t fall and re-injure his finger,” Adas said. “He should be OK after spring break.”

Field events look strong for the team.

Seniors Eddie Harris and Dylan Buschur will return in the shot put and discus. They will earn critical points for their team in those contests.

The team will compete at its first meet at the Saginaw Valley State University Indoor Invitational on Thursday, March 21.

Boys Track at a Glance

Key Returners:

• Eddie Harris, senior
  • Dylan Buschur, senior
  • Raydoffa Braziel, junior
  • Braylon Silvas, sophomore
IMAGE / Connor Earegood
In the shot put and discus, senior Dylan Buschur will look to accumulate points for his team.

Key Losses:

• Tre’Ron Griffin
  • Taveon Harris
  • Carlos Macedo

Anticipated Strengths:

• Field events
  • Core of veteran athletes

Anticipated Weaknesses:

• Inexperience

2017-18 Record:

• 4-4

Projected Top 3 League Teams:

• Fenton
  • Flushing
  • Swartz Creek

The Eclipse • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Eclipse Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *