IMAGE / Hicks Studio of Davison

Sophomore Kody Easton is one of the key returners for the 2018-2019 baseball season.

Baseball swings into new season

A young baseball team, the Hornets are working to improve  their mental and physical game, hoping to top last year’s record of 6-24.

Coach Rich Bennett believe his team will be better sees his players fighting through every inning.

“I expect to compete in every game this year,” Bennett said.

Sophomore Kody Easton, captain, said his team has put in a great deal of work for the new season.

“We have prepared for this season by working on our mistakes from last season,” Easton said. “The key to this off season was to create a bond that will bring us closer and get us to our best potential for the 2018-2019 season.”

Easton noted that they retouched on the basics to grow stronger.

“We have been working on our batting and glove work,” Easton said.

Seniors Kyle Langworthy and  Dustin Bennett are bittersweet about beginning their final season.

”I am excited to see what my final season will bring,” Langworthy said. “I have played baseball my whole life. It’s crazy to think this is it.”

Dustin spoke about how it feels to put his jersey on for his last season at KHS.

“It (makes me) feel pretty sad,” Dustin said. “It hits me at random times when  putting on a jersey that says Kearsley baseball and representing them one last time.”

Dustin said he expects “our pitching and fielding and our chemistry together” to be a strength for the Hornets this season.

In addition to being excited for his senior year of baseball, Dustin said he is excited for “senior night because I have been waiting for that since I have been on varsity since my sophomore year, watching all of the seniors get up there and say their final goodbyes to their home field.”

Dustin earned second-team, All-League honors last year for the Hornets.

Baseball at a Glance

Key Returners:

• Dustin Bennett, senior
  • Kyle Langworthy, senior
  • Ethan Linvingston, junior
  • Kody Easton, sophomore

Key Loss:

• Josh Patrick, second baseman

Anticipated Strengths:

• More experience within the team
  • Being stronger

Anticipated Weaknesses:

• Youth in certain positions

2017-2018 Record:

• 6-24

Project Top 3 League Teams:

• Clio
  • Linden
  • Flushing

The Eclipse • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Eclipse Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *