Kearsley celebrates its 75th anniversary

December 14, 2015

Jonathon Kearsley
IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons
Jonathon Kearsley

Kearsley Community Schools turned 75 years old this year and is still running strong.

The school district is named after U.S. Army Major Jonathan Kearsley, who fought in the War of 1812.

Kearsley was sent to protect Michigan territory during the American Indian Wars of the early 19th century.

He also served as the receiver of public money for the District of Michigan for 30 years before retiring. During that time, he served two separate times as Detroit’s mayor and sat on the Board of Trustees for the University of Michigan.

The first Kearsley school was established before the Civil War on the corner of Genesee and Richfield roads.

Mr. and Mrs. John and Mary Cashin donated an acre of land, enough to make a one-room school building. The original building was expanded to two rooms but burned down in 1929.

1955
IMAGE / the Echo
1955

The same year, the district obtained a $42,500-bond to purchase land and build a larger school.

The building was expanded to eight rooms. Three teachers and a principal were hired.

Then, in 1937, the first superintendent, George Daly was hired.

In 1940, four local school districts —  Tanner, White, Wentworth, and Kearsley — were reorganized to form the Kearsley Rural Agricultural School District.

Since this is the precursor to our modern day district — Kearsley Community Schools — Kearsley recognizes 1940 as the first year in its history.

Weston Elementary, which educates developmental kindergartners, kindergartners, and first graders, was built in 1952 and was expanded in 1961.

1962
IMAGE / the Echo
1962

Kearsley High School, educating grades nine through 12, was built in 1957, and has had several additions.

The school was expanded in 1965 and in 1968.

In 1974 the auditorium, pool and deck, cafeteria, and locker rooms were added.

The latest add-on was the state-of-the-art science wing in 2001.

In 1958, Paro Elementary was built, while Dowdall Elementary was built two years later in 1960. Both schools were expanded in 1972.

Para Educational Center was then established, an alternative high school where students participated in high school completion classes and worked toward graduation.

1975
IMAGE / the Echo
1975

Students in grades kindergarten through third now attend Dowdall Elementary.

In 1962, Buffey Elementary was built and was developed in 1963.

Buffey educated grades second through fifth but now houses Pumpkin Patch, a child care and learning center.

Pumpkin Patch has been around for 32 years (since 1983) as a preschool. It was moved to Buffey in 2011.

Fiedler Elementary was built in 1964 and was expanded the following year.

Fiedler now houses fourth and fifth grade students.

The administration building and bus garage were built in 1966.

Armstrong Middle School, which educates grades six through eight, was built in 1972.

1984
IMAGE / the Echo
1984
1985
IMAGE / the Echo
1985

The middle school was only expanded once in 1975.

When the Daly Center was first built, it housed all Kearsley area students, but as the district grew it was changed into the George Daly Junior High School.

It is named in honor of the first superintendent, Mr. George Daly.

Then, in 1979, the Daly building was decommissioned because of declining enrollment and high maintenance costs.

The building was then named the George Daly Community Center, and the building was renovated into a permanent home for the Eastside Senior Citizens Center.

After 75 years, tens of thousands have walked through Kearsley’s halls.

One of those students is senior Hannah Mannor.

Mannor has attended Kearsley schools her whole life.

“Kearsley is my home,” Mannor said. “I love coming to school here and seeing my friends and teachers.”

Mr. Greg Oaks, security, graduated from Kearsley in 1976.

Oaks said that when he was in school, there were only three grades at the high school: 10th, 11th, and 12th. However, the school was still packed with around 1,500 students and no science wing.

1992
IMAGE / the Echo
1992
2001
IMAGE / the Echo
2001

There are currently 1,087 active students at high school.

Kearsley has changed tremendously over the years in both its structure and its ethics.

Oaks said rules have changed over the years, as well as attitudes.

“There were no vending machines and no gum allowed,” Oaks said. “There was a lot more respect and more fear of the staff.”

View Comments (4)

The Eclipse • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (4)

All The Eclipse Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• R

Rod KelseyAug 30, 2019 at 7:44 am

I started at Kearsley in 3 rd grade. I went to Tanner for 3 years. I was in 5 th grade when they built Paro. I will always remember when they painted “SHCOOL” on Genesee rd. In front of the new Paro school. My friends and I thought that it was hilarious. I graduated in 1965. So many memories.

Reply
  • T

Tracey FayOct 16, 2018 at 8:53 am

Grew up going to Buffet Elementary, with Mrs. Woughter (RIP 2018) being our crossing guard extraordinaire, Wonderful Teacher Mrs. Leigh ??.Went on to Armstrong Middle School, even though my Father didn’t like and fought about Clusters lol. Favorite Teacher was Mrs. Geisz, next on to High School, Mr Orville Burton was Awesome (RIP)

Reply
  • J

Joy BurrowsAug 24, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Thank you for your time and sharing this! So many names, but we never knew anything about them! Again, thank you again,
    Joy Burrows

Reply
  • M

Michael CraneAug 24, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Proud to have graduated from Kearsley High, attending Dowdall Elementary when it was first built, transferred to Fiedler Elementary when it was built, then Daly Jr. High, then Kearsley High. My class did a lot of fundraising and had a hand in getting the pool, auditorium and other additions in 1974. Played 3 sports while in school, football, baseball……and was a member of the very first Kearsley hockey team……those of us in class years 1972 through 1974 got the team started and caused the creation of the Genesee County High School Hockey League fro the 1972-73 school year. But we had a team in the 71-71 season, playing as a club team with games against Davison and Flint Central. We had vending machines, shortages of class materials, especially in chemistry class with Mr. Montague……but we made it work. Best thing about the kids I went to school with is that so many of us are still in touch with each other, as well as kids from other class years we saw during our time at KHS. We still hang out together, call each other on the phone, and visit each other. I’ve talked with people from other schools who were just astounded that I’m still in touch with people from my kindergarten class on up……we had great teachers, and Papa Knute kept us in line……so did 6 foot 7 inch tall Mr. McDonald…..JV football coach and woodshop teacher. Forever Blue and Gold….GO HORNETS !!!

Reply
4