IMAGE / Courtesy of Hicks Studio of Davison

The 2015 queen’s court is Claire Zuwala (left), Diane Bond, Nadia Koontz, Gionna Gentry, Colleen Desrochers, and Karmen Bishoff.

Senior queen’s court is comprised of admirable girls

October 8, 2015

The 2015 queen’s court consists of six girls this year.

The court includes Karmen Bishoff, Diane Bond, Colleen Desrochers, Gionna Gentry, Nadia Koontz, and Claire Zuwala.

All six have the chance to be crowned queen Friday, Oct. 9, at halftime of the football game.

The Eclipse asked for the court members’ backgrounds to understand more of the kind of people they really are.

Karmen Bishoff 

Bishoff is 17 years old and has went to Kearsley all of her life.

She is very thankful.

“I am extremely thankful for my mom and dad,” Bishoff said. “They have taught me to work my hardest and to always treat people the way you want to be treated.”

Her sister, Emma, is also an important person in her life.

“My sister also deserves a big thanks for always supporting me,” Bishoff said.

Bishoff is a firm believer that “positivity is key.”

Diane Bond

Bond is 17 years old.

She went to Holy Rosary until fifth grade.

“I learned more about my faith and religion, which is really important to me,” Bond said.

She went to Atherton until seventh grade and made the decision to move to Kearsley for the rest of her education.

During her middle and high school years, Bond has run track and cross country, as well as played softball, volleyball, and basketball.

“Basketball is the sport I enjoy the most,” Bond said.

She is going into her fourth and final season of varsity basketball as point and shooting guard.

“Sports have always been a huge part of my life,” Bond exclaimed. “But my family means the world to me.”

She has two older brothers, Billy, 19, and Kenneth, 25.

Bond also enjoys doing things such as fishing, snowmobiling, water-skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing.

She is also involved in Student Council, National Honor Society, and, just recently, DECA.

Colleen Desrochers

Desrochers is 18 years old and has went to Kearsley her whole life.

She has participated in cheerleading, volleyball, track, and cross country.

“I was a cheerleader for 10-plus years,” Desrochers said. “I was in love with it.”

She exclaimed that she loves sports but “loves” her family much more.

“What can I say?” Desrochers said. “I am a family girl.”

Desrochers is the second youngest of five siblings: two girls and three boys.

“My family is my support system,” Desrochers said.

Not only does she look to her family in time of need, she also looks to her faith.

“I am Catholic,” Desrochers said. “I devote every Sunday morning to church.”

Desrochers is a down-to-earth person and “loves to make people happy.”

Gionna Gentry

Gentry is 17 years old and has went to Kearsley her whole life.

In elementary, she participated in cheerleading, soccer, and swimming.

“Soccer was the biggest sport for me, and I played four years of it,” Gentry said.

During her eighth-grade year, she began modeling and acting in Canton that was carried into high school.

“Modeling is such a fun hobby,” Gentry said. “I love to do it, and I wish more girls would get involved. It makes you feel so good about yourself.”

Gionna is an only child and was raised by a single mother.

She made it clear that they are very close.

“My mom is my No. 1 best friend,” Gentry said. “She is like my best friend, and I owe her everything.”

Nadia Koontz

Koontz is 17 years old.

She went to Carman-Ainsworth until fifth grade and switched to Kearsley.

“I immediately found friends,” Koontz exclaimed. “I felt like I went here my whole life.”

She exclaimed that friends are a huge part of her life.

“My friends helped me get through everything,” Koontz exclaimed. “I could never repay them for what they have done for me.”

Koontz lost her father in 2004 and finds it to be a huge part of her life.

“It was hard at first and, to be honest, it still is,” Koontz said. “But I live every part of my life to make him proud.”

She was raised with two younger siblings, Gabe and Alivia, by her mom alone.

“I learned to grow up fast, and I have always tried to be the best role model for them,” Koontz said.

She believes her siblings, mom, and dad have been the best guides through life.

“Be kind and understanding,” Koontz said. “You never know what is going on in someone’s life, and it is really important to understand that.”

Claire Zuwala 

Zuwala is 17 years old.

She went to Holy Rosary for nine years and enrolled at Kearsley her freshman year.

“I found my faith in grade school,” Zuwala said. “It is a big part of who I am.”

She explained that as she grew older, she became more interested in her faith.

Not only is she big into her faith, she is also big into reading and writing.

“I love reading and writing,” Zuwala said. “In fact, I love it so much that I want to edit books for a living. Reading for my job sounds perfect.”

Zuwala also fell in love with swimming.

“I started swimming when I was in seventh grade,” Zuwala said. “I fell in love with it!”

She explained that swimming was a tough sport and is very underappreciated.

“It’s a non-contact sport, and I do hate it sometimes,” Zuwala said. “But it really is worth every minute. My teammates are family, and I am always in shape. It never stops being challenging.”

Editor’s disclosure: Nadia Koontz is on The Eclipse staff and was assigned this story before the court was selected. Koontz wrote the biographies for each of the other girls while Makenzie Schroeder wrote Koontz’s biography.