Brazilian Vitoria Hahn loves discovering new things

IMAGE / Haylie Brooks

Vitoria Hahn is a foreign exchange student from Brazil who will graduate Kearsley with the Class of 2017.

Vitoria Hahn expresses a love for discovering new things and seeing the world from different points of view.

Hahn is from Porto Alegre, Brazil. There she lives with her father Oscar, mother Giovana, and younger brother Bernardo.

Hahn’s normal home life in Brazil includes playing volleyball, hanging out with her three best friends, and traveling with her family.

Hahn said coming to Kearsley was her fourth time coming to America, and each time her English improved during each visit to the States.

“Each time I visited with family, speaking English became easier and easier,” Hahn said.

Hahn began taking English classes in elementary school and is now fluent in English. Unlike the family members she left in Brazil, who speak Portuguese.

Along with the other foreign exchange students, Hahn arrived in California and stayed for four days before going to her host family.

“I wasn’t nervous about going to California because I got to be with kids who were going through the same experience,” Hahn said.

The Briggs host family welcomes Vitoria Hahn (back row, second from left) to Michigan.
IMAGE / Courtesy of Vitoria Hahn
The Briggs host family welcomes Vitoria Hahn (back row, second from left) to the United States from Brazil.

When Hahn arrived in Michigan on Aug. 16, she was greeted by her host family. Her host family includes her Mr. and Mrs. Chris and Melanie Briggs along with their children Connor, Alyssa, and Anna.

Before Hahn arrived, she only knew her host family through social media and emails.

“We had only Skyped once before I arrived,” Hahn said. “I was nervous about living with a new family that I barely knew.”

Hahn said the biggest different in her life in Brazil and her life in America is the food.

“Everything here is like frozen,” Hahn said. “Back home my mom cooks dinner every night.”

Hahn frequently talked about her family. Bringing up her mother the most.

“I miss my mom the most,” Hahn said. “We went from seeing each other every day to only face timing once or twice a week.”

I’m so grateful and happy for all the friends that I made here. They are awesome and my host family is great.

— Vitoria Hahn, Brazilian exchange student

Hahn joked she missed Brazilian food as much as missing her mom.

Although Hahn described missing her mom, she said she doesn’t regret taking this amazing opportunity to go to school at Kearsley.

“I’m so grateful and happy for all the friends that I made here,” Hahn said. “They are awesome and my host family is great.”

Hahn comes off shy and quiet at first. But, within time, she shows a more talkative personality.

She enjoys going to school in America better than school in Brazil and “feels happy when going to school.”

When Hahn joined the volleyball team, she made some of her best friends here.

Hahn said she was nervous trying out for the volleyball team, even though she is on the volleyball team at her school in Brazil.

Senior Kayla Meyer is a member of the volleyball team, and one of the team captains this year.

“When she first came to tryouts she was quiet, and I didn’t think she was going to fit in with the team,” Meyer said. “She quickly became one of my best friends and has improved with her volleyball skills so much from the beginning of the season to the end.”

Hahn and Meyer became close friends.

“I’m so glad I met Vitoria. She has such a fun personality and is a crazy fun person to be around,” Meyer said. “It is so cool to learn about her life back home in Brazil.”

I will miss all my friends I have made here the most when I return home.

Hahn will graduate from Kearsley with the Class of 2017. But that is not the end of high school for her.

When Hahn returns home to Brazil, she will still have half a year of high school and will graduate in December 2017.

“I will miss all my friends I have made here the most when I return home,” Hahn said.

Once she is officially done with high school, Hahn plans to move back to Michigan for college and study business.

“I like the constant change,” she said, “so it is all cool.”