Staff, students share opinions on when someone becomes an adult

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Kari Shaw, English teacher, grades work during lunch.

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat

IMAGE / Makenzie Boillat

How does someone decide when they are officially an adult?

Becoming an adult could be defined as making simple lifestyle changes or becoming more independent, depending on a person’s opinion or experiences.

Some people believe you become an adult once you start paying your bills or when you make your own family.

According to Mr. Andy Nester, political science teacher, the age you become an adult is different for everyone depending on their situation. Some people have no choice but to grow up at a young age.

“I think its different for everyone,” Nester said. “For me, its when I got a job and my first house payment.”

Many adolescents struggle when it comes to becoming an adult, especially since this includes many key events like paying your first bills.

I feel like people graduate high school and feel like an adult until they get a job and it hits them in the face.”

— Madison Burroughs, senior

Many of these skills are not taught in school and can impact your life tremendously if you make mistakes.

Teens experience many changes after they graduate high school and start doing things more on their own, which can be stressful.

Senior Madison Burroughs believes becoming an adult occurs when you get a job and start paying bills.

“I feel like people graduate high school and feel like an adult until they get a job and it hits them in the face,” Burroughs said.

Although becoming an adult is difficult at times, it’s good to start off doing little things on your own like making dinner or getting your first job.

Piling everything on yourself all at once can cause stress. It’s important to form relationships as you venture into adulthood in order to deal with stress in a healthy way by talking to friends.

Having a mentor or someone to ask for help when needed is helpful because it is not expected for teens to know what to do in every situation.

As you grow up, people start to have higher expectations for you.

This situation was present in the life of Ms. Diane Hunt, psychology and sociology teacher.

“I think I became an adult probably when I was 15 because I got a job and my parents had higher expectations and gave me more freedom,” Hunt said.

Having to become an adult and having to be more independent can be scary for some individuals.

Many wish they could be a child again, when they enjoyed school and found life much more simple.

I like being responsible for myself, making my own decisions.”

— Ms. Kari Shaw, English teacher

Although there are many ups and downs in becoming an adult, there are many benefits as well.

Ms. Kari Shaw, English teacher and yearbook adviser, believes it can be a good thing.

She said she likes to be able to make her own choices.

“I like being responsible for myself, making my own decisions,” Shaw said. “If I make a mistake, knowing it’s my fault, I can’t blame anyone else.”