Caffeine consumption will increase on International Coffee Day

Senior Nick Williams enjoys going to Starbucks for his favorite drink -- a caffè mocha.

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

You wake up — but your alarm never went off — you’re running late! You rush to get ready and run out the door, but not before grabbing the one thing that will get you through the day — a cup of coffee.

Whether it’s a mug of coffee you brewed at home or the newest coffee creation from a café, coffee is part of many people’s daily routine across the world.

The International Coffee Organization and coffee lovers around the globe celebrate the fourth annual International Coffee Day on Monday, Oct. 1.

International Coffee Day is to thank the men and women who grow and harvest coffee beans to bring a cup of coffee into your life.

This year’s theme is “Women in Coffee.” The theme was chosen to honor the women who work in this field and to shine a light on the equity and equality still needed in the work environment.

To many Americans, a cup of coffee would be prepared with cream or sugar of some sort. However, coffee is prepared in different ways around the world. In Finland, people have been known to pour their coffee over juustoleipä (cheese curds).

There are hundreds of ways to prepare coffee: with butter, with steamed milk, or even with an array of spices. There isn’t necessarily a right way to make coffee.

Not only can the preparation be different, so can the coffee ground and the tools used to make the popular drink. In Turkey, a copper or brass pot called a cezve is used to brew coffee. The coffee is prepared unfiltered in this pot.

Going out for coffee is something I enjoy doing with my friends as a way to hang out and talk with each other.”

— Nick Williams, senior

Senior Nick Williams is an avid coffee drinker. He enjoys the taste and the energy it gives him.

“Coffee keeps me awake,” Williams said. “My favorite place to get coffee from is Starbucks. I love getting a cafè mocha. Going out for coffee is something I enjoy doing with my friends as a way to hang out and talk with each other.”

Next time you drink a cup of coffee, stop to think about where it came from and how others around the world might be enjoying their cup of coffee.

About the Contributor
Jenna Robinson, Editor in Chief
  • Birthday: Oct. 26, 2000
  • Hobbies/Interest: Playing electric, acoustic, and bass guitar, as well as ukulele. I also enjoy drawing, reading, writing, and spending time with my friends and family.
  • Favorite Quote: “Keep exploring. Keep dreaming. Keep asking why. Don’t settle for what you already know. Never stop believing in the power of your ideas, your imagination, your hard work to change the world.” – Barack Obama
  • Favorite Book: “The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto” by Mitch Albom
  • Plans After High School: Attending a college or university to pursue a doctoral degree in psychology, as well as writing for a college newspaper.