Community Closet offers resources for students

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
The Community Closet offers students a variety of resources, one being deodorant.

The Kearsley community and Student Council have been working alongside one another to create the Community Closet at KHS.

The closet provides clothing and hygiene resources for students that may not have access to them at home.

Mr. Kevin Walworth, superintendent, said the closet gives students a new opportunity to access supplies at KHS.

“While there are many agencies that provide clothing and personal care products, this allows an opportunity for high school age students to receive products right at their school,” Walworth said.

IMAGE / Mr. Mike Whalen
The Kearsley Community Closet is open for all students at KHS

Walworth said the Community Closet is a hidden opportunity for students in Student Council.

“Giving back to the community and in this case, one’s own school, is very rewarding and helps build character,” Walworth said. “Our district mission statement talks about preparing our students to be ‘active citizens and contributing members of an ever-changing world.’ The Community Closet does just that.”

Mr. Mike Whalen, Student Council adviser, had help making the closet become something that positively impacts the community.

He credits the teaching staff within the community for helping the idea come to life.

“The idea was sparked from teachers who noticed students in need didn’t have a clear outlet for basic needs within the school community,” Whalen said.

Senior Chloe Clarambeau, Student Council president, said it has taken longer than expected to roll out the opening of the closet, but she remains optimistic about how it will affect the community.

“It’s been a slow start,” Clarambeau said. “But, as the word gets out more, I think it will help people even more than we can know right now.”

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
Another resource the closet offers is toothpaste.

Whalen agrees with Clarambeau and believes students are benefiting from the closet’s resources.

“Students are definitely taking advantage of the resource, and we should see more advantage as word spreads about its many uses,” Whalen said.

One of the newest additions to the Community Closet is the washer and dryer.

“The grant money came from Lowe’s,” Whalen said. “They helped to pay for cabinets, clothing, book bags, and an accessible washer and dryer for the students in need.”

Clarambeau believes the closet is a great resource for students.

“In the beginning it was just the closet,” Clarambeau said. “But with the washer and dryer being installed, we are opening up different resources that normally wouldn’t be free.”

Walworth hopes the closet becomes a well-known piece of KHS.

“My hope is that the Community Closet can become a permanent part of the high school service,” Walworth said. “We know the need is great and, hopefully, we will continue to have passionate students who feel the need to maintain and build the program through the years.”