An open letter to my friend who feels like life isn’t worth living: I am here for you

Jenna+Robinson
Jenna Robinson

Jenna Robinson

IMAGE / Brianna Horne

IMAGE / Brianna Horne

Jenna Robinson

I am unbelievably sad that you were hurting so much that you thought your life wasn’t worth living.

It’s easy to not pay attention to things we aren’t always around. I see you in passing, we share a smile — your smile so big it causes your eyes to wrinkle — and we continue on. But I never knew how much you were struggling. I didn’t hear the cry for help until it was too late.

Recently, depression and and suicide have become more widely discussed, yet people still turn a blind eye.

When something tragic happens it’s hard not to feel guilty. Even though I knew it wasn’t my fault I couldn’t help but fill my head full of thoughts like, “I could’ve done more,” and, “What if I could’ve prevented this?”

As a teen in high school, balancing schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and making time for friends and family is time-consuming. So when a friend is hurting, it’s easy to overlook or miss it.

It breaks my heart that I didn’t hear your cry for help. My mind is filled with “what ifs.”

I saw on your social media a post saying you were sorry for everything. This is what originally had me worried.

I messaged you several times asking if you were OK and telling you that I cared about you. After I contacted another friend to find out where you were, I received the news that you had, in fact, attempted suicide.

I went back on the social media page to show my mom. Upon going back, I discovered several other posts with messages reaching out for help.

How did I miss it? Why did so many people miss it or simply ignore it?

Suicide is often a topic discussed in hushed voices even though it has the ability to impact anyone.

Suicide should be discussed, mental illness should be discussed, and help should be provided — especially in schools.

I won’t ever be able to find the right words to say to you. I can’t say I understand what you’re going through. But no matter what, no matter how long we go without talking, no matter how far we drift apart, I am always going to be here for you. Always.

You are beautiful. You’re life is worth living. You deserve a life filled with happiness.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

About the Writer
Jenna Robinson, Editor in Chief

Birthday: Oct. 26, 2000
Hobbies/Interest: Playing electric, acoustic, and bass guitar, as well as ukulele. I also enjoy drawing, reading, writing,...

1 Comment

One Response to “An open letter to my friend who feels like life isn’t worth living: I am here for you”

1. George Tanner on June 9th, 2018 12:15 pm

As Rachel Millers Grandfather, I totally agree with her assessment of your Article and of you the writer. Keep Writing, you are very good!!

*

• An open letter to my friend who feels like life isn’t worth living: I am here for you

Opinion

I don’t feel safe being alone in public

Opinion

Despite popular opinion, pineapple does belong on a pizza

Opinion

Even though immoral, Columbus should still be remembered

Opinion

Killing off characters is a poor way to get rid of actors

Opinion

Step outside of your comfort zone

Opinion

Senior year couples activities with expenses

Opinion

An open letter to my mom: My admiration for you is immeasurable

Opinion

Americans have good reasons to appreciate the royal family

Opinion

Nolff looks forward to her class reunions

Opinion

Goodbye from Brianna Horne, editor in chief