Boys track splits meet, led by Silvas

It’s unusual for a freshman to lead a boys track and field team, but the Hornets had a freshman do just that.

On Wednesday, May 2, Kearsley’s freshman Braylon Silvas captured three victories and one second-place finish in a double-dual meet at Fenton against the Tigers and Holly.

The Hornets split the meet, beating Holly 84-52 and losing to Fenton 83-54.

Senior Tre’Ron Griffin set a personal record for the season in the 400-meter dash, taking first in 53.05 seconds.

Raydoffa Braziel, sophomore, took third in the 800 run with a time of 2:14.58.

The team was successful in the 110 high hurdles, with Silvas (17.61) and senior Gavin Etson (18.05) taking first and second, respectively.

The pair also took first and second in the 300 hurdles, finishing with times of 45.23 for Silvas and 46.58 for Etson.

In the 1600 relay team of Silvas, Malik Davis, Braziel, and Griffin took first with a time of 3:36.44.

In the shot put, junior Eddie Harris took third with a put of 41 feet, 9 inches.

Junior Dylan Buschur threw the discus 125-11, his best of the season, to win the event. In addition, Harris took second in the discus with a throw of 123-05.

In the high jump, Etson cleared the bar at 5-02, which was good enough for third place.

Silavs set a personal record in the long jump. He placed second with a leap of 20-02.5.

Senior Philip Stites took third in the pole vault with a height of 9-00.

The Hornets are now 4-2 in the Metro League and will compete in the Goodrich Invitational on Friday, May 4.