Kearsley will participate in national school walkout

Students across the nation demand an end to school violence

Members of Women’s March Youth EMPOWER is organizing marches and walkouts to protest against Congress’ lack of action on gun violence.

EMPOWER has planned a national school walkout Wednesday, March 14, from 10-10:17 a.m. These 17 minutes are meant to honor those 17 students and staff who lost their lives on Feb. 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

The walkout is an event to call for bans on assault weapons and high capacity magazine, expand background checks to all gun sales, passing gun violence restraining laws that would allow courts to disarm people who display warning signs of violent behavior, and stopping the militarizing of law enforcement by not allowing police to have military weapons and equipment.  These details are posted online.

Many schools and students throughout the nation are planning to take part in the National School Walkout, hoping that their actions will send a message.

Kearsley’s Student Council, in conjunction with school administration, has organized a way for students to participate in this event, reassuring that the event will run smoothly.

Elise Pariseau, Student Council president, believes the event needs to happen in a controlled setting.

I hope that more people will become aware that schools need to become a better place and environment.

— Elise Pariseau, senior

“I feel like we need structure, rather than going out there and having the event be chaos,” Pariseau said. “It needs to have purpose.”

Pariseau, senior, wants this event to send a message, expressing that change is needed.

“I hope that more people will become aware that schools need to become a better place and environment,” Pariseau said.

Students will gather in front of the school for a moment of silence for the students and staff who lost their lives at Stoneman Douglas High School. After the moment of silence, anyone who wishes may speak during the remaining 17 minutes.

During this event, police will be present. In addition, local television news may be present, reporting on the walkout.

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, stresses that students who participate in the walkout will not be punished and they are not forced to participate, but class will continue for those who choose not to participate.

“Nobody is forced to participate in this event,” Wiskur said. “If you do participate, you will not be punished. Students are allowed to stay in the building if they choose to do so. Their teacher is required to continue teaching any student who stays.”

For those who wish to participate, Student Council asks that you wear black in respect of the ones who have lost their lives in the school shooting.

This is the only walkout that KHS is going to sanction and make nonpunishable for participants.

I believe that we need to make, not only a change in our school but also other schools in the nation, a more safe environment for students to learn.

— Mary Wheeler, junior

A march in Washington, D.C., is planned for March 24 while another nationwide school walkout is planned for April 20.

Junior Mary Wheeler is participating in the March 14 walkout, hoping the protest will be a spark for change.

“I believe that we need to make, not only a change in our school but also other schools in the nation, a more safe environment for students to learn,” Wheeler said.

To learn more about walkouts and other events EMPOWER is planning, or to learn more about the group and its beliefs, visit their website.