Five juniors believe Advanced Placement classes are beneficial

KHS has eight Advanced Placement opportunities for students.

These courses are available to all students from freshmen to seniors.

Many students are skeptical about taking AP classes because the classes are challenging and stressful.

But in the end, students who take AP classes are getting more opportunities to become better students.

Five juniors that have taken multiple AP classes throughout their high school years give their input from their experience.

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
Junior Tyler Gronauer believes students should not be intimidated by AP classes.

Tyler Gronauer

Do you think that challenging yourself by taking AP courses has made you a better student?

“I think AP classes have made me more self-determined. With AP courses you either do the notes or don’t. If you don’t, you risk a bad test grade.”

What study habits do you gain from AP courses?

“The main study habit I have gained personally is note taking. You have to find a system that works for you and once you have, then everything else falls in place.”

What would you say to someone considering taking AP classes? 

“To someone wanting to take an AP class, do it. It may seem intimidating, but as long as you keep up on notes and stay headstrong, you can do it. Plus, in the long run, you may get a college credit out of it, which could help you in the future.”

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
Junior Richard Herta believes studying and time management are key assets to passing AP classes.

Richard Herta

“I have definitely challenged myself by taking AP courses, but that is the point in it. They are supposed to be difficult and that’s what sets you out from the rest of the pack, and colleges take notice on that,” Herta said. “It has made me a better student because I have learned how to do a large amount of high quality work in a very short amount of time.”

“Time management and paying attention in class are key assets. Realistically you don’t need to read the book if you pay attention and take good notes,” Herta said. “Note taking for your own learning style is a major part of what you learn when you do the readings. Some teachers choose not to go in depth, and you have to read the book and teach yourself.”

“Take as many AP courses as possible. If it is offered, just take it,” Herta said. “Some will challenge you more than others, but it looks good on your college application.”

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Junior Claudia Moore thinks challenging herself has made her a better student.

Claudia Moore

“I think I’ve become a better student because of AP for sure,” Moore said. “It’s given me a challenge that normal classes cannot give.”

“I’ve gained time management. I now know how to quickly get work done and how to accomplish well-written work,” Moore said.

“I would say go for it,” Moore said. “It’s gonna be difficult at first, but once you get your own routine down for the class, you’ll learn to love it.”

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
Junior Halle Parish has learned how to take better notes by taking AP classes.

Halle Parish

“I believe it has made me a better student by challenging me, and it helps me become better prepared for college and what is to come in the future,” Parish said.

“I have learned how to take notes more thoroughly. I used to be really bad at taking notes, but from taking AP classes, I have found my own way to do them and they help me much more.”

“Don’t be afraid to try it. It is challenging and you need to stay on top of your work and, at times, it will really test you,” Parish said. “But it is worth it in the end. Taking AP courses will better you as a student and you could possibly get college, which could help you in the future also.”

IMAGE / Stephanie Lane
Junior Stephen White has learned that education will not always be easy.

Stephen White

“I think AP classes have shown me that education won’t always be easy, and I can’t just expect an easy A.”

“Preparation and organization are the two main keys to having success in AP classes. I learned how crucial it is to stay on top of my work in order to do good (sic) in the class.”

“Try the class with your best intentions, and if it doesn’t go well you can always try again, change your habits, or choose a different path in school.”